Ashley Lawrence is a senior public affairs advisor in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office and a member of the firm's Public Policy & Regulation Group. Ms. Lawrence focuses her practice in the areas of education and advocacy.
Ms. Lawrence is dedicated to public service and civil rights issues, and has more than 10 years of significant legislative, communications, research and nonprofit experience. She has a significant background with civil rights organizations in policy and legal support capacities to advance social justice advocacy. Her passions include voting rights, environmental justice and women's empowerment.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Lawrence was a member of a public policy practice of another Washington, D.C., law firm, where she worked on healthcare, energy and immigration matters. Previously, she was a registered federal lobbyist at a legacy civil rights organization, where her portfolio included voting rights, criminal justice reform and hate crimes.
Ms. Lawrence also has experience as a legislative correspondent and press assistant with Rep. Gregory W. Meeks (D-N.Y.), with the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, and former Rep. Charles B. Rangel's (D-N.Y.) office.
During law school, Ms. Lawrence was a student attorney with the Howard University Civil Rights Clinic and interned at various human rights and government organizations.
- Howard University School of Law, J.D.
- Smith College, B.A., Government and Afro-American Studies
- Junior League of Washington, 2018-Present
- Arena Stage, Young Patrons Board, 2018-Present
- American Constitution Society, 2015-Present; Next Generation Leaders Program, 2018
- SongRise, 2011-Present
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., 2008-Present
- Squire Patton Boggs Fellowship, Howard University School of Law, 2017
- Equal Justice America Fellowship, Howard University School of Law, 2017
- Barbara Jordan Award for Study of Law and Public Policy, Smith College, 2015
- Jean Picker Fellowship, Smith College, 2007