David E. Lemke
David Lemke is a bankruptcy attorney in Holland & Knight's Nashville office. Trustees, lenders, creditors' committees and other clients requiring assistance with defaulted bonds or other financial instruments rely on Mr. Lemke to provide sophisticated, practical advice and counsel. For more than 25 years, he has designed creative solutions for clients both inside and outside of formal proceedings. Whether a workout is undertaken within the bankruptcy court setting, a receivership is necessary to enforce the remedies of a trustee or lender, or an out-of-court restructuring is needed, clients can be assured that he has the experience and judgment to craft a resolution.
Mr. Lemke enjoys the competitive nature of his work and thrives on bringing a win to the client. He assertively and tenaciously finds leverage within a matter to achieve the client's goal.
In November 2011, Jefferson County, Alabama, filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection, making it the largest municipal bankruptcy ever filed at that time. Representing the trustee for certain sewer debt exceeding $3 billion, Mr. Lemke and the team were intimately involved in the historic proceedings. In July 2013, the City of Detroit filed its Chapter 9 bankruptcy petition, thereby eclipsing Jefferson County as the largest municipal bankruptcy ever filed. Drawing on the experience gained in Jefferson County, Mr. Lemke and the team were engaged to represent the trustee for Detroit's water and sewer bonds – totaling almost $6 billion – in this historic case.
- University of Missouri School of Law, J.D.
- Central Methodist College, B.S.
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Nashville Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Mid-South Commercial Law Institute, Former Board Member and Past President
- Nashville Bar Association, Bankruptcy Court Committee, Past Chair; Bankruptcy Court Committee, CLE Subcommittee and the Local Rules Subcommittee, Former Chair
- Turnaround Management Association, Middle Tennessee Chapter, Former Board Member
- Harpeth Conservancy Advisory Board of Directors
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Tennessee), 2015-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2006-2024
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Nashville Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law Lawyer of the Year, 2022
- Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, Creditor Debtor Rights, 2006-2018, 2023