Jerry Mace is a financial services and bankruptcy attorney in Holland & Knight's Nashville office. Both borrowers and lenders turn to Mr. Mace for counsel and representation in complex commercial finance transactions. He helps corporate clients from a wide range of industries – including healthcare, manufacturing, aviation and others – obtain the financing they need for expansion, acquisitions and operations. Creative, thorough and responsive, he is a tireless advocate on behalf of indenture trustees to enforce their rights and remedies during defaults.
He has substantial experience in connection with:
- senior and subordinated credit facilities
- corporate debt issuances
- restructuring troubled credit facilities
Banks, financial institutions and specialty lenders also rely on Mr. Mace to negotiate commercial finance transactions both at conception and in workout situations. In 2011, he served as lead counsel to the indenture trustee in the widely publicized Jefferson County, Alabama, $3.2 billion bond default. In the vigorous protection of the trustee's interests, Mr. Mace and the team played a prominent role in what was, at the time, the largest U.S. municipal bankruptcy ever filed.
In July 2013, the City of Detroit filed its Chapter 9 bankruptcy petition, thereby eclipsing Jefferson County as the largest municipal bankruptcy ever filed. Drawing on the experience provided in Jefferson County, Mr. Mace and the team were tapped again to represent the trustee for Detroit's water and sewer bonds-totaling almost $6 billion-in this historic case.
He thrives on interaction with clients no matter which side of the commercial finance transaction they're on. He views his ultimate responsibility as helping clients make sound business decisions in light of their strategic objectives, market conditions and myriad other variables.
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D.
- University of Virginia, B.A.
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Gilda's Club of Middle Tennessee, Past Member
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Banking & Finance (Tennessee), 2011-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Banking and Finance Law, 2006-2024; Commercial Finance, 2023-2023
- Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, Corporate 2006-2015