Payal Majumdar, Ph.D., is a technical specialist in Holland & Knight's Houston office. Dr. Majumdar focuses her practice in the area of patent prosecution.
Dr. Majumdar has experience drafting patent applications, responding to office actions, preparing appeal briefs and managing foreign prosecution. She handles patent matters involving software, including machine learning and neural networks, web and network security, artificial intelligence (AI), image and speech recognition and mobile applications. She also has extensive knowledge of patent matters related to hardware such as radio frequency (RF) devices, antennas, sensors and circuit board design and manufacturing. In addition, Dr. Majumdar has significant background in patents related to 4G/5G wireless telecommunication and networking systems, audio and signal processing systems, oil and gas, autonomous driving systems and medical devices such as surgical devices and ultrasound systems.
In addition, Dr. Majumdar has completed postdoctoral studies in RF, microwave, metamaterials and antenna from Kuang Chi Institute of Advanced Technology, a key laboratory of Meta-RF Electromagnetic Modulation Technology in Shenzhen, China. Her area of focus includes applicative research in wireless communications, metamaterials (MTMs), optical physics, antenna design, microstrip antennas, computational electromagnetics, RF and microwave design.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Dr. Majumdar worked as a patent engineer at a Houston-based law firm. She previously served as a technical advisor at another law firm in Houston, where she reviewed and drafted domestic and international patent applications in the fields of electrical, mechanical, computer and electronic engineering.
- University of Delhi, Ph.D., Microwave Electronics
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, MSc, Electronics and Telecommunication
- University of Delhi, B.A.Sc., Electronics
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Houston Section, Secretary, 2023-2025; Newsletter Publication Chair, 2017-2018
- IEEE, USA, Microwave Theory and Technology Society (MTT-S); Antennas and Propagation Society (AP-S); Senior Member, Houston Section, 2017-Present
- S. National Committee (USNC) International Union of Radio Science (URSI), Commission A and B
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Machine Intelligence Research Labs (MIR Labs)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Women in Engineering (WIE) Travel Grant, 2018
- Early Career Scientist, U.S. National Committee (USNC) International Union of Radio Science (URSI)/National Academy of Sciences (NAS), 2017
- Technische Universität München (TUM), Research Participant, 2014
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Shenzhen Human Resources and Social Security Bureau, China, 2012
- Foreign Expert Certificate, State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, China, 2012