Judith M. Mercier
Judith M. Mercier is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Orlando office who concentrates in complex business and commercial litigation throughout Florida and the United States. Her practice focuses on contract disputes, business torts, intellectual property, invasion of privacy, defamation, First Amendment, defending consumer claims and compliance. Ms. Mercier has significant experience defending actions for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, negligence, unfair and deceptive trade practices, as well as various statutory claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA).
She represents companies in a wide range of industries, including e-commerce, financial and payment services, sports, real estate and hospitality, and media and entertainment. Ms. Mercier understands her clients' businesses, opportunities and standing in the marketplace and assists clients to evaluate risks and regulations, identify trends and develop strategies to achieve their business goals. She stays up to date with emerging technologies, innovations and developments that could impact her clients' businesses.
She has tried jury and bench trials in state and federal court, argued federal court appeals and arbitrated cases in numerous states. As a national counsel, Ms. Mercier devises practical strategies for clients to navigate disputes and leads a team of diverse attorneys that handle trial court cases, appeals and arbitrations throughout the United States.
Ms. Mercier is a former certified public accountant and has significant experience conducting corporate investigations and advising clients on compliance matters.
In addition, Ms. Mercier is co-chair of the national Media Practice Team. Her First Amendment and media law practice involves representing media and other entities in defamation actions, actions to obtain access to judicial records and proceedings, and defending journalists facing subpoenas under Florida's Shield law.
Diversity and Inclusion
Ms. Mercier's commitment and passion for diversity and inclusion is reflected in the client teams she leads, her mentoring of attorneys and the recognition by clients for the diverse teams assembled to handle matters. Ms. Mercier serves as a member of the firm's Diversity Council and a vice chair of the Steering Committee for the firm's Diversity and Inclusion Engagement Initiative. She also regularly serves as a semifinal judge for the annual Diversity Moot Court Competition sponsored by the American Bar Association (ABA) Forum on Communications.
She has served on the Director's Nominating Committee for Holland & Knight, as the national chair of Holland & Knight Women's Initiative, and participated in the firm's Rising Star program.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Florida, B.S., Accounting
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- National Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Forum on Communications Law; former member of Governing Committee
- The Florida Bar, Media Law Committee
- Orange County Bar Association, Judicial Relations Committee, former Chair and Vice Chair
- Leadership Orlando, Graduate
- Florida Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs, former President
- University of Miami Law Review, former Articles and Comments Editor
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Commercial Litigation, Media Law, 2008-2021
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2013-2020
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- American Jurisprudence Book Award, Evidence, University of Miami