Walter H. Neilsen
Walter Neilsen advises hospital systems, healthcare REITs and other healthcare providers in real estate transactions. From the C-Suites of publicly traded companies, to local property managers and leasing officers, his professionalism and a personal approach are appreciated across all levels of the organizations with which he works. Clients benefit from his extensive experience and his ability to close deals.
Mr. Neilsen also provides effective insight into the intersection between healthcare real estate transactions and the federal Stark law, anti-kickback statutes, and other regulatory hurdles. He serves as national leasing counsel for a publicly traded healthcare REIT, and assists healthcare providers with the development of Medical Office Buildings (MOBs), including the:
- negotiation of long-term leases with third-party developers
- preparation of agreements governing the future use and operation of these properties
Mr. Neilsen chairs the regulatory compliance section for the annual BOMA Medical Office Building and Healthcare Facilities Conference. He has spoken for the past five years at this conference. Mr. Neilsen has also been a speaker at other healthcare conferences.
Most recently, he addressed the impact on healthcare reform with respect to Stark compliance. He has been published in Medical Office Today on the impact of use restrictions in MOB leases.
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D.
- The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, B.S., Economics
- Building Owners and Managers Association International (BOMA)
- BOMA Medical Office Building & Healthcare Facilities Conference, Planning Committee
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT)
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Associations
- American Health Law Association (AHLA) Chair, AHLA Real Estate Affinity Group
- Matthew School Board, Member and Secretary
- Youth Sports Coach
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, 2020-2023