Healthcare Real Estate
- Holland & Knight’s Healthcare Real Estate Team represents healthcare clients in all aspects of their real estate transactions by drawing upon a breadth of real estate, land use, regulatory, environmental, construction, finance, leasing, litigation and zoning experience throughout the firm.
- We represent institutions of all sizes and types in the healthcare industry in acquisitions, dispositions, development, leasing and financing of medical and healthcare facilities both large and small.
- Our focus on compliance and regulatory issues ensures that your real estate transactions comply with healthcare regulatory requirements.
Holland & Knight’s Healthcare Real Estate Team counsels clients on real estate matters that are unique to the healthcare industry and we are committed to success in all facets of real estate and land use work, from the acquisition and disposition of the full range of healthcare facilities to the development, structuring, leasing and financing of healthcare-oriented properties.
Our attorneys handle all types of real estate finance transactions and represent land owners, developers, lenders and tenants – including for-profit and nonprofit healthcare organizations such as owners/operators of hospitals, private clinics and treatment centers, medical office buildings, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, continuous care and senior living facilities.
Holland & Knight’s real estate attorneys work together to combine their strengths and knowledge in an effort to provide our clients with comprehensive healthcare real estate services both locally and nationally. Clients benefit from the extensive resources of more than 100 practice areas including land use, regulatory, environmental, construction, finance, leasing, litigation and zoning.
Land Use and Regulatory Matters
We counsel clients on compliance and regulatory issues in the healthcare real estate industry and work effectively to ensure that your real estate transactions comply with regulatory requirements. Holland & Knight’s Healthcare Real Estate Team is involved in all aspects of land use and regulatory matters, including handling special exception approvals and entitlements.
An Array of Transactional Experience
Holland & Knight’s Healthcare Real Estate Team has extensive experience handling a wide array of multifaceted, sophisticated transactions in the areas of acquisition, development, structuring, leasing, financing and disposition.
Our firm’s representative experience for healthcare clients includes:
- negotiating and implementing a real estate development transaction involving multiuse, large-scale complex with on-site medical office buildings and facilities
- establishing private clinics and independent treatment centers
- representing buyers in the purchase of vacant parcels to expand facilities
- navigating land use approvals for construction of medical facilities and office buildings
- counseling on projects that accommodate surge capacity, to function as part of a regional comprehensive disaster plan
- guiding the approval processes and relocations of healthcare facilities
- representing multimillion dollar sales, acquisitions, ground leases and loan transactions
- counseling on joint venture, financing and acquisition of multiple assisted living facilities
- construction, acquisition and refinancing of nursing homes and assisted living facilities under HUD Section 232 mortgage insurance
- representing property owners in sale of closed hospitals or other medical facilities to a developer for condominium use
- navigating approvals and land use regulatory matters involved in the relocations of full-service hospitals and healthcare facilities
- representing physicians’ groups in leasing and financing of office facilities for medical practice, related employment and other matters
- representing lenders in workouts, foreclosures and deeds in lieu of foreclosure of medical office buildings and other healthcare facilities
We represent both landlords and tenants in negotiating and preparing leases for medical campuses, complexes and office buildings and guide clients through accessibility issues, shared common amenities, infrastructure for specialized practices and disposal of toxic and biohazardous waste. Our team frequently represents healthcare clients with various leases and site acquisitions.
Our attorneys provide skilled advice on creatively structuring healthcare financing transactions, which allows our clients to better position themselves financially. We offer guidance on financing and tax matters in such areas as mergers and acquisitions, development loans, construction loans, permanent loans, joint venturing, tax exempt finance and economic development issues and refinancings secured by healthcare facilities. In addition, we represent lenders in negotiating and documenting workouts, foreclosures and deeds in lieu of foreclosure of medical office buildings and other healthcare facilities.