Michael B. Newman is a partner in Holland & Knight's San Francisco office and head of the firm's Alcohol Beverage Team. Mr. Newman focuses on counseling alcohol beverage and hospitality industry clients on national and international regulatory, contract, legislative and licensing matters, advertising and promotional law, importation matters, trade practices, and inter-tier relations. He represents clients before the federal Alcohol & Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau, the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control and State Board of Equalization, and other state alcohol beverage agencies throughout the United States.
Mr. Newman works with international importers, suppliers, exporters, domestic manufacturers, regional and local distributors, and retailers (including multi-state restaurant and hotel and convenience store and other off-premise chains) across the United States. He also has worked with national and statewide industry trade groups and associations, including the Wine Institute, the Wine and Spirits Wholesalers Association, and the California Wine and Spirits Wholesalers Association.
Mr. Newman is an associate member of the National Conference of State Liquor Administrators, the Brewers Association, the Wine Institute and the National Alcoholic Beverage Control Association. He currently serves on Wine Institute's Public Policy Committee. In addition, Mr. Newman lectures frequently on compliance and other alcohol beverage regulatory matters to clients, regulators and other alcohol beverage industry members.
Mr. Newman and the firm's Alcohol Beverage Team also advise the hospitality industry on a variety of matters, including: alcohol beverage licensing; alcohol beverage regulatory filings in connection with mergers and acquisitions; representation in administrative proceedings; and litigation/dispute resolution.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- Williams College, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- All State Courts in California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- National Conference of State Liquor Administrators
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Food and Beverage Law, 2011-2022
- North Bay Business Journal, Top Legal Service Providers: Wine Industry, 2019
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Food & Beverages: Alcohol, 2008-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated