Eduardo "Ed" Ramos is a partner in Holland & Knight's Miami office. He concentrates his practice in the areas of international and commercial litigation/arbitration. He has successfully represented domestic and foreign clients, including sovereigns, in complex business litigations and arbitrations in both the United States and abroad. He is well-versed in advising on a wide range of business disputes, including contractual disputes, partnership disputes, breaches of fiduciary duty, derivative actions, corporate fraud, banking litigation, corporate dissolution actions, enforcement of domestic and foreign judgments and probate matters. In addition to his complex arbitration/litigation practice, Mr. Ramos applies his significant experience to assist his clients with matters involving the enforcement of trademarks, copyrights and protection of trade secrets. Mr. Ramos handles corporate and intellectual property litigation matters for a wide variety of industries, including hotel, agricultural, pharmaceutical, technology and the cosmetics industries. He has successfully represented clients in arbitrations administered by the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the Corte de Arbitraje de Madrid (CAM), the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) and the American Arbitration Association (AAA).
In the community, Mr. Ramos coordinates the Do the Write Thing Challenge, a national anti-violence essay contest for middle school students, as well as a holiday toy drive for children in foster care.
Selected recent representations by Mr. Ramos include:
- Lead Counsel for the Dominican Republic: Served as lead counsel to the Dominican Republic and its water resource agency in a Miami federal court breach of contract litigation. The clients initially retained the Holland & Knight team to vacate a default judgment against both clients jointly in the amount of more than $50 million, which the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit eventually vacated and remanded the case for trial. Following an eight-day trial, the court issued a complete defense verdict in favor of the Dominican Republic, fully exonerating the country of any wrongdoing.
- Lead Counsel in Probate Litigation: Served as lead counsel in a lawsuit brought by a son against his father's surviving spouse after she stole millions from the decedent during his lifetime and later unduly influenced him to change his testamentary documents to disinherit our client out of $14 million. Seven days into a 12-day trial, the surviving spouse offered to settle the case walking away from the entire estate, returning priceless family heirlooms as well as the decedent's homestead, which had been devised to her, legally changing her name to drop the married surname, and most importantly, giving our client the right to bury his father in the family plot.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D.
- American University, B.A., Justice, cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Cuban-American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar, Litigation Section
- Holland & Knight Charitable Foundation
- American Cancer Society
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2016-2022
- Most Effective Lawyer, International Litigation, Daily Business Review, 2018
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star Award, 2017
- The Legal 500 Latin America, International Arbitration, 2016
- Future Star: Litigation, Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2016
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation 40 under 40, Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade, 2010
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star, 2014
- Pro Bono All Star, Holland & Knight, 2006, 2020
- Pro Bono Champ, Holland & Knight, 2007