International Arbitration and Litigation
- Holland & Knight’s International Arbitration and Litigation Team represents clients in all aspects of mitigating and resolving international disputes.
- We work with clients in a collaborative environment to develop facts, assess risks and prepare effectively. Our team's mission is to exert control over the international dispute process and provide solutions.
- The majority of our team members are bilingual and have significant international experience.
- The combination of our experience, global presence and international contacts enables us to provide efficient representation to our clients.
The global economy is producing a large number of international disputes. Litigating across national borders is often legally complex and difficult to predict. It requires experience and legal training to coordinate and implement an effective litigation strategy.
Holland & Knight's International Arbitration and Litigation Team has the experience and training necessary to handle the unique dimensions of international litigation. Members of our team assist clients in all aspects of cross-border disputes, including:
- coordinating, managing and supervising multijurisdictional litigation and international arbitration
- securing injunctive and other interim relief in the United States and in foreign jurisdictions
- dismissing cases filed in inconvenient or improper forums
- enforcing foreign judgments and arbitral awards in the U.S. and vice versa
- determining the most favorable applicable law and resolving conflicts between the laws of multiple interested jurisdictions
- obtaining evidence in foreign jurisdictions for use in U.S. forums and vice versa
- defending clients involved in multijurisdictional mass tort litigation
- filing and litigating anti-suit injunctions
- selecting capable and effective foreign local counsel
- engaging effective industry and foreign law experts
Limiting the Uncertainty of International Litigation
International litigation is unrestricted in almost every sense – geographically, legally and linguistically – and is difficult to predict both substantively and procedurally. Through our experience, size and strategic geographic presence, our team helps clients fully assess and manage international and foreign disputes.
Our goal is to exert control over the international dispute process, assess the risks and provide solutions. We counsel and represent clients regarding potential international disputes before litigation is initiated. This includes tailoring specific arbitration and mediation clauses, selecting the best suitable forum and law, and protecting and enforcing intellectual property rights.
Our team works closely with the firm's in-house Investigative Group, which includes former federal investigators with experience in gathering intelligence, tracking down witnesses and obtaining information abroad. Group members maintain a network of contacts throughout the world who are available to assist in locating individuals and obtaining critical facts.
Members of our team are experienced in international litigation matters involving:
- Act of State Doctrine
- administrative challenges abroad
- Alien Tort Claims Act
- anti-suit injunctions
- bank interventions by foreign regulators
- commercial fraud
- conflicts of law
- dismissals for lack of jurisdiction
- domestication and enforcement of foreign judgments
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- foreign distributorship/representative disputes
- foreign employment and labor disputes
- foreign government litigation
- foreign property expropriation
- Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act
- forum non conveniens doctrine
- interim relief in aid of arbitration proceedings
- international class actions
- international intellectual property
- international investigations
- international mass torts
- jury trials under foreign law
- letters rogatory
- money laundering
- prejudgment remedies abroad
- RICO claims
- service of foreign process
- ship arrest
- U.S. government seizures
- white collar crimes
Our International Arbitration and Litigation Team has arbitrated numerous international disputes, both in the U.S. and abroad. We have experience arbitrating complex disputes under many different rules and administrative bodies, such as:
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA)
- Center for Mediation and Arbitration of the Santiago, Chile Chamber of Commerce
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- Inter-American Commercial Arbitration Commission (IACAC)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR)
- International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
- World Intellectual Property Organization Arbitration Center (WIPO)
Strong, Worldwide Affiliations
To effectively serve you throughout the world, we can utilize our offices throughout the United States, Colombia and Mexico. We also have access to a vast network of practitioners, many of whom are members and leaders of international associations such as the International Bar Association, the Inter-Pacific Bar Association, the Multilaw Network and the U.S. European Law Network. Your support system also includes our alliances with law firms across the globe and ties to more than 1,000 foreign-trained lawyers who have interned in Holland & Knight offices through our renowned Foreign Lawyer Trainee Program.