Jameson B. Rice
Jameson Rice guides businesses in transactions that support their operations, helps navigate applicable regulations and resolve disputes that arise from those operations. He has experience with multiple industries, but practices primarily in the areas of road, rail and intermodal transportation and logistics, as well as ocean transportation and issues pertaining to unmanned aircraft systems (UAS or drones). His experience includes:
Transactional: Drafting, negotiating and providing guidance regarding:
- shipper, carrier and broker transportation and warehouse agreements
- the sale and lease of transportation-related assets, including rail infrastructure and equipment
- intermodal and terminal services agreements, interchange agreements and facility access agreements
- rail operating agreements, joint-facility, marketing and interline agreements
- commercial business transactions in the industrial software industry
Regulatory: Provide guidance on federal transportation regulations and statutes, including:
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA): hours of service, vehicle and driver leasing, hiring requirements, recordkeeping requirements, contract and freight claims related regulations, and registration
- Surface Transportation Board (STB): federal preemption, rail-transaction related filings, authority over intrastate rail lines, demurrage issues
- Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA): shipper and carrier hazmat requirements
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): federal motor vehicle safety standards
- Federal Maritime Commission (FMC): ocean transportation intermediary (OTI) and qualifying individuals (QI) registration, tariffs, negotiated rate agreements (NRA) and Non-Vessel-Operating Common Carrier (NVOCC) service arrangements (NSA)
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA): filing comments on behalf of a major media coalition pertaining to the commercial use of unmanned aerial systems (UASs; drones)
Litigation and Dispute Resolution: Representation in federal, state and arbitration proceedings, often focusing on transportation issues, including federal preemption and freight claims.
Industry Leadership: Law360 named Mr. Rice a Transportation Rising Star for 2020. He is president-elect and a member of the board of directors for the Association of Transportation Law Professionals. He is chairman of the Rail Committee for the Transportation Lawyers Association. He also leads the Transportation Sector of Holland & Knight's Blockchain Initiative.
Publications: Mr. Rice authors the motor carrier regulatory column for the Association of Transportation Law Professionals' Highlights publication. He also regularly writes about topics pertaining to motor carriers and logistics for the Holland & Knight Transportation Blog, for which he is an editor.
Mr. Rice maintains a substantial commitment to providing pro bono representation, for which he has been recognized with a Spirit of Giving Award by the Federal Bar Association's Jacksonville Chapter.
Mr. Rice was formerly a member of Teach for America, where he taught in inner-city Baltimore.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Johns Hopkins University, M.A.T.
- University of Florida, B.A., Political Science, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Association of Transportation Law Professionals, President-Elect; Board of Directors
- Transportation Lawyers Association, Rail Committee, Chairman
- Federal Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Law360 Rising Stars, Transportation, 2020
- Spirit of Giving Award, Federal Bar Association, Jacksonville Chapter, 2013