Jameson B. Rice
Jameson Rice is a transportation lawyer who leads Holland & Knight's Supply Chain Team. Called a "commercially minded business partner" by a client quoted in Chambers USA, he has experience with commercial transactions across multiple industries, but practices primarily in the areas of road and rail transportation, warehousing and logistics, as well as ocean transportation and noncontiguous domestic trade. A client quoted in The Legal 500 United States stated: "We sought out Jameson Rice because of his reputation in the transportation industry. He was knowledgeable, smart and client focused." His experience includes:
Transactional: Drafting, negotiating and providing guidance regarding:
- Motor Carrier and Logistics, Warehousing and Terminals: shipper, carrier and broker transportation agreements, warehouse agreements, terminal services agreements, multi-modal master services agreements, third-party logistics agreements, the Uniform Intermodal Interchange and Facilities Access Agreement (UIIA) and transportation management system (TMS) agreements
- Rail Operations: contracts between railroads and shippers, railroads and governmental entities, and railroads and other railroads, including operating agreements, trackage rights, haulage and run-through agreements, joint-facility, marketing and interline agreements
- Transportation Infrastructure, Real Estate and Equipment: the purchase, sale and lease of transportation-related assets, including rail corridors, infrastructure and equipment
- Technology: transactions involving emerging technology, such as blockchain, autonomous vehicles, and advanced freight and capacity matching software
- Software: commercial business transactions in the industrial software industry
Regulatory: Providing guidance on federal transportation regulations and statutes, including:
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA): government audits, hours of service and electronic logging device requirements, vehicle and driver leasing and hiring requirements, contract and freight claims related regulations, registration and household goods related obligations
- Surface Transportation Board (STB): federal preemption, rail transaction-related filings, authority over intrastate rail lines, demurrage issues
- Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA): shipper and carrier hazmat requirements and pipeline enforcement matters
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): federal motor vehicle safety standards and the operation of autonomous vehicles
- Federal Maritime Commission (FMC): ocean transportation intermediary (OTI) and qualifying individuals (QI) registration, tariffs, negotiated rate agreements (NRA) and Non-Vessel-Operating Common Carrier (NVOCC) service arrangements (NSA)
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA): filing comments on behalf of a major media coalition pertaining to the commercial use of unmanned aerial systems (UASs; drones)
Litigation and Dispute Resolution: Representation in federal, state and arbitration proceedings, often focusing on transportation issues, including federal preemption and freight claims under the Carmack Amendment, as well as government audits and enforcement actions.
Industry Leadership: Mr. Rice is past president and a member of the board of directors for the Association of Transportation Law Professionals (ATLP), an organization for which he also edits a motor carrier regulatory column. He is chairman of the Rail Transportation Committee for the Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA). He is on the Law360 Transportation Editorial Advisory Board, and was previously named by Law360 as a Transportation Rising Star. He is ranked by Chambers USA in the area of Transportation: Road (Carriage/Logistics) - USA – Nationwide. He is railroad editor for the Holland & Knight Transportation Blog.
Mr. Rice maintains a substantial commitment to providing pro bono representation, for which he has been recognized with a Spirit of Giving Award by the Federal Bar Association's Jacksonville Chapter and an Outstanding Services Award from the American Bar Association (ABA) Military Pro Bono Project.
Mr. Rice was formerly a member of Teach for America, where he taught in inner-city Baltimore.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Johns Hopkins University, M.A.T.
- University of Florida, B.A., Political Science, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- Law360, Transportation Editorial Advisory Board, 2022
- Association of Transportation Law Professionals, Immediate Past President; Board of Directors
- Transportation Lawyers Association, Rail Committee, Chairman
- Federal Bar Association
- Outstanding Services Award, American Bar Association (ABA) Military Pro Bono Project, 2023
- The Legal 500 USA, Transport: Rail and Road - Litigation and Regulation, 2021, 2022; Next Generation Lawyer, Transport: Rail and Road - Litigation and Regulation, 2023
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Transportation: Road (Carriage/Logistics), 2021-2023
- Law360 Rising Stars, Transportation, 2020
- Spirit of Giving Award, Federal Bar Association, Jacksonville Chapter, 2013