Jameson B. Rice
Jameson Rice guides businesses in commercial transactions that support their operations, helps navigate applicable regulations and resolve disputes that arise from those operations. Called a "commercially minded business partner" by a client quoted in Chambers USA, he has experience with multiple industries, but practices primarily in areas that are a part of the supply chain, including road, rail and intermodal transportation, warehousing and logistics, as well as ocean transportation. A client quoted in The Legal 500 United States stated: "We sought out Jameson Rice because of his reputation in the transportation industry. He was knowledgeable, smart and client focused." His experience includes:
Transactional: Drafting, negotiating and providing guidance regarding:
- Motor Carrier and Logistics: shipper, carrier and broker transportation agreements, warehouse agreements, third-party logistics agreements and transportation management system (TMS) agreements
- Rail Operations: agreements between railroads and shippers, railroads and state and federal governmental entities, and railroads and other railroads, including operating agreements, trackage rights, haulage and run-through agreements, joint-facility, marketing and interline agreements
- Transportation Infrastructure, Equipment and Real Estate: the sale, lease and purchase of transportation-related assets, including rail corridors, infrastructure and equipment
- Intermodal: intermodal and terminal services agreements, interchange agreements and facility access agreements
- Technology: transactions involving emerging technology, such as blockchain, autonomous vehicles, and advanced freight and capacity matching software
- Software: commercial business transactions in the industrial software industry
Regulatory: Providing guidance on federal transportation regulations and statutes, including:
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA): government audits, hours of service and electronic logging device requirements, vehicle and driver leasing, hiring requirements, recordkeeping requirements, contract and freight claims related regulations, and registration
- Surface Transportation Board (STB): federal preemption, rail transaction-related filings, authority over intrastate rail lines, demurrage issues
- Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA): shipper and carrier hazmat requirements and pipeline enforcement matters
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): federal motor vehicle safety standards and the operation of autonomous vehicles
- Federal Maritime Commission (FMC): ocean transportation intermediary (OTI) and qualifying individuals (QI) registration, tariffs, negotiated rate agreements (NRA) and Non-Vessel-Operating Common Carrier (NVOCC) service arrangements (NSA)
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA): filing comments on behalf of a major media coalition pertaining to the commercial use of unmanned aerial systems (UASs; drones)
Litigation and Dispute Resolution: Representation in federal, state and arbitration proceedings, often focusing on transportation issues, including federal preemption and freight claims, as well as government audits and enforcement actions.
Industry Leadership: Mr. Rice is the immediate past president and a member of the board of directors for the Association of Transportation Law Professionals (ATLP), an organization for which he also edits a motor carrier regulatory column. He is chairman of the Rail Transportation Committee for the Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA). He is on the Law360 Transportation Editorial Advisory Board, and was previously named by Law360 as a Transportation Rising Star. He is ranked as an "Up and Coming" lawyer by Chambers USA in the area of Transportation: Road (Carriage/Logistics) - USA – Nationwide. He leads the Transportation Sector of Holland & Knight's Blockchain Initiative and is railroad editor for the Holland & Knight Transportation Blog.
Mr. Rice maintains a substantial commitment to providing pro bono representation, for which he has been recognized with a Spirit of Giving Award by the Federal Bar Association's Jacksonville Chapter.
Mr. Rice was formerly a member of Teach for America, where he taught in inner-city Baltimore.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Johns Hopkins University, M.A.T.
- University of Florida, B.A., Political Science, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Law360, Transportation Editorial Advisory Board, 2022
- Association of Transportation Law Professionals, Immediate Past President; Board of Directors
- Transportation Lawyers Association, Rail Committee, Chairman
- Federal Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Outstanding Services Award, American Bar Association (ABA) Military Pro Bono Project, 2023
- The Legal 500 USA, Transport: Rail and Road - Litigation and Regulation, 2021, 2022
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Transportation: Road (Carriage/Logistics), 2021-2022
- Law360 Rising Stars, Transportation, 2020
- Spirit of Giving Award, Federal Bar Association, Jacksonville Chapter, 2013