David Rosenberg focuses his practice on federal, state, and local taxation of, and corporate governance matters for, nonprofit organizations, as well as sophisticated charitable giving techniques. His experience includes the organization, operation, and termination of nonprofit corporations and trusts, and obtaining and maintaining exemptions for these organizations from federal income, state franchise, sales and use and unemployment, and local ad valorem taxes.
Mr. Rosenberg also counsels clients on the federal income tax treatment of charitable contributions and on planned charitable gifts and bequests.
- Represented a borrower in several tax-exempt bond issuances involving capital improvement financings for a private foundation and several private schools, and for a major local capital fundraising appeal
- Represented several continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs) in obtaining charitable organization classifications from the Internal Revenue Service, and acted as borrower's counsel in tax-exempt bond issuances to finance the construction of the communities
- Represented several prominent local and regional charitable organizations in the formation of various entities to protect charitable assets and streamline operations
- Represented several charitably-inclined individuals and families in the formation and maintenance of family foundations, charitable remainder trusts, and other sophisticated giving techniques
- Represented several nonprofit organizations in significant corporate governance issues such as interpretation, drafting and amendment of charter and bylaw provisions, resolutions, conflicts of interest, audit compliance, and agreements
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- West Virginia University, B.S., with high honors
- U.S. Tax Court
- Honorary Life Trustee, Child Care Group
- Member, Board of Trustees, Shelter Ministries of Dallas
- Member, Board of Trustees, The Brodsky Foundation
- Member, Secretary, and Former Chair, Board of Directors, Thompson & Knight Foundation
- Member, Endowment Committee and Advisory Board, The Crystal Charity Ball
- Member, Community Advisory Board, Junior League of Dallas
- Member, American Bar Association; Taxation Section, Exempt Organizations Committee
- Member, State Bar of Texas; Taxation Section; Business Law Section; Former Chair, Taxation Section, Exempt Organizations Committee; Business Law Section, Nonprofit Corporation Law Committee
- Member, Dallas Bar Association; Taxation Section
- Member, Thompson & Knight Management Committee
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Nonprofit/Charities Law, Tax Law, 2008-2022
- Dallas Nonprofit/Charities Law "Lawyer of the Year," The Best Lawyers in America by Woodward/White Inc., 2012, 2018-2019
- Best Lawyers in Dallas (Tax: Trust & Estates), D Magazine, 2019
- Texas Super Lawyers magazine, 2007