Orlando Segura Jr. is a litigation attorney and a member of Holland & Knight's Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice. Based in the firm's Austin office, Mr. Segura represents clients in complex business disputes at the domestic and international levels.
Mr. Segura manages all aspects of litigation in state and federal courts, and he represents clients in a wide array of matters involving breach of contract, fraud and fraudulent inducement, business torts, deceptive trade practice, and governmental and regulatory enforcement actions, among others. He is experienced in all phases of litigation and he regularly prepares pleadings and dispositive motions, oversees pretrial discovery, prepares fact and expert witnesses for deposition and trial, takes and defends depositions and leads settlement negotiations.
One of Mr. Segura's distinct areas of focus is representing clients facing civil litigation abroad. As a member of the firm's International Arbitration and Litigation practice, Mr. Segura has counseled clients in trial, appellate and constitutional court proceedings in Latin America, multicountry recognition and enforcement actions, international commercial arbitrations and international investor-state arbitrations. Mr. Segura is fluent in Spanish, and he has extensive experience coordinating legal strategy with local counsel in civil law jurisdictions.
Mr. Segura's recent representative engagements include:
- representing an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor against the owner in a $4 billion-plus International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration arising out of the construction of a mega-infrastructure project in Colombia
- representing a Fortune 50 company in a $9 billion-plus dispute pending in South America; Mr. Segura is a member of the team that has overseen all local litigation matters at the trial, appellate and constitutional court levels, and he advises client in parallel proceedings, including foreign recognition and enforcement actions and a multitrack investor-state arbitration pending before the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) in The Hague, Netherlands
- representing a real estate investment and operating company in multiple disputes with general contractors and subcontractors in state court breach of contract and fraud actions, mechanic's and materialman's lien disputes and regulatory actions before the Texas Public Utility Commission (PUC) and the Austin Buildings and Standards Commission
- representing a provider of measurement-while-drilling services and products in breach of contract case against directional drilling company
- representing a creditor with a $1 million-plus claim in Chapter 7 case pending in Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
- represented a solar development company against a former member and manager in a multimillion-dollar shareholder derivative lawsuit
- represented an auto dealership group in multiple state court actions and American Arbitration Association (AAA) arbitrations involving deceptive trade practice disputes, breach of contract actions and labor disputes
- represented a medical professional in proceeding before the Texas Medical Board leading to a full dismissal of all charges
- represented a major equipment manufacturer in federal product liability case and counseled client through negotiation and successful settlement
Mr. Segura is also part of Holland & Knight's COVID-19 Response Team and advises companies on the impact of government shelter-in-place orders and other issues presented by the pandemic.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Segura worked as a consultant with McKinsey and Co., where he counseled companies and governments on a variety of strategic matters in the U.S., Latin America and Europe. In addition, he worked as a senior financial analyst with a private equity firm in Boston.
- Harvard Law School, J.D.
- Harvard College, B.A., Social Studies, with honors
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Young Arbitrators Forum
- Austin Bar Association, International Law Section
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas, International Law Section
- San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Harvard Club of San Antonio
- Harvard Law School Association of Austin
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star Award, 2017