Sara Schretenthaler Staha is a Dallas labor, employment and benefits attorney who works with clients on handling complex commercial, employment and franchise litigation matters. Ms. Staha has experience defending claims of discrimination and retaliation, wage-and-hour claims, and breach-of-contract and wrongful-termination cases. She is well versed in handling complex pretrial procedures and electronic discovery matters, and focuses on client-centered results that are cost efficient and effective. Her litigation experience covers all major aspects of the lifecycle of a case, including dispositive motion practice, post-trial proceedings, appeal and enforcement of judgments.
In addition, Ms. Staha assists companies with obtaining temporary restraining orders and temporary/preliminary injunctions to prevent departing employees or competitors from violating non-disclosure, non-compete or non-solicitation agreements, or from using their former employer's trade secrets. She also counsels companies and individuals unfairly accused of trade secret misappropriation and related claims.
Ms. Staha provides clients proactive and practical recommendations to avoid litigation with their employees. She has represented local, national and multinational companies in federal and state courts. She also has experience successfully defending appeals in federal and state courts.
Ms. Staha also assists clients in complex intellectual property litigation including patent and trade secret litigation. She has represented clients in a wide range of technologies, including e-commerce, light emitting diodes, industrial lubricants, building materials and fracking logistics technologies.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Staha represented publicly listed companies facing U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) investigations and multinational companies involved in multidistrict litigation.
During law school, Ms. Staha served as a technical editor for the Baylor Law Review. She also was active in mock trial teams, serving as a brief writer and witness for the National Pretrial Competition and as a team member for the University of Missouri-Kansas City National Voir Dire Competition.
- Baylor Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- Creighton University, B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Aid to the Homeless Committee, Co-Chair, 2018-2020; Leadership Class, 2016; Foundation, Life Fellow, 2018-2020
- Young Catholic Professionals, Dallas Chapter, Board of Directors, 2019-2020; Director and Vice President, 2018-2019; Volunteer, 2015-2020
- Attorneys Serving the Community
- Junior League of Dallas
- St. Monica's Catholic Church, Volunteer
- Military Spouse JD Network
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers magazine, 2020
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star Award, 2017