Richard B. Stephens
Richard B. Stephens Jr. is a partner in Holland & Knight's Tampa office. Mr. Stephens divides his time between tax exempt financings and a diverse corporate practice. On the corporate side, Mr. Stephens has extensive experience in large corporate transactions focusing on the gas, power, cement and road-based industries (including structured products, prepaid gas transactions, financings, derivatives, acquisitions, mergers, and general contract drafting). He also has significant experience in the healthcare field, providing financing services to hospitals and cancer centers, and serves as general counsel for two large Florida healthcare group practice clinics, providing general counseling, transactional and corporate services. Mr. Stephens also has extensive experience in solid waste resource recovery and compost projects, including negotiation of power sales agreements, wheeling contracts, waste processing and service agreements and related documents.
On the tax-exempt side, Mr. Stephens has been involved as bond counsel, disclosure counsel, swap counsel or special counsel to city and county governments, districts and authorities in virtually all types of municipal and industrial development projects including airports, port facilities, stadium complexes and arenas, convention centers, hospitals and healthcare facilities, hotels, water and sewer facilities, city hall projects, housing issues and a variety of other infrastructure projects. He has also had extensive experience in innovative financings involving floating and fixed rate bonds, auction bonds, caps, collars, swaps, multimodal and shifting lien bonds, commercial paper, forward purchase contracts, and the like. He has been involved in more than 50 issues involving more than $4,000,000,000 over the last five years.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., with high honors
- University of Rochester, B.S.
- Ridge League of Cities
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Lakeland Area Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- United Way, Board of Directors
- Committee on Efficient County Government
- Leadership Lakeland Alumni Association, Past President
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Public Finance Law, 2007-2023
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021
- Corporate Counsel Edition, Super Lawyers magazine, January 2009
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2006-2009
- Order of the Coif
- University of Florida Law Review, Editorial Board
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated