Nathan Stone is a corporate attorney in Holland & Knight's Houston office. Mr. Stone focuses his practice on private equity and mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Stone represents private equity, venture capital, real estate and other financial sponsors, their portfolio investments and other closely held companies in various transactions, including the formation and operation of private investment funds, management companies, co-investment and side-car vehicles, venture and growth capital financings, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, control and non-control investments, ongoing operations of investment partnerships and joint ventures and general corporate governance matters.
Mr. Stone's primary industry experience includes private equity funds and funds in other alternative asset classes, including energy, real estate and infrastructure, upstream and midstream oil and gas, commercial real estate, renewable energy, technology and industrial services. He has experience representing financial sponsors and investors in connection with acquisition of interests in investment management businesses and seed-capital investments, as well as in establishing and managing their employee investment and incentive programs.
- Representation of an energy-focused private equity sponsor in connection with sponsor-level matters, portfolio company and investment transactions and the formation of various private equity funds with commitments totaling more than $24 billion, including funds with commitments from institutional taxable, tax-exempt, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), foreign and sovereign wealth fund investors
- Represented a real estate investment firm in formation of private funds totaling more than $800 million focused on commercial real estate assets and projects
- Represented a sponsor in connection with formation and capitalization ($200 million) of two exploration and production (E&P) companies focused on the Permian Basin
- Represented a management team of a privately held deepwater E&P company in connection with establishment of its equity line of capital of more than $1.2 billion from private equity sponsors and sovereign wealth funds
- Represented a private equity sponsor in formation of funds and co-investment vehicles totaling more than $2 billion focused on the midstream oil and gas and related infrastructure investments
- Represented a private equity sponsor in formation of $200 million fund focused on commercial real estate assets and projects
- Represented a sponsor in connection with all aspects of E&P portfolio company located in Mexico, including formation, ongoing operations and cross-border sale to a strategic buyer
- Represented a sponsor in connection with formation of private equity fund and related co-investment vehicle focused on upstream oil and gas assets, with aggregate commitments of $1.5 billion
- Represented a sponsor in formation of closely held holding company focused on upstream oil and gas opportunities
- Represented a sponsor in formation of multiple private funds focused on development of rail storage and transit facilities
- Represented a sponsor in connection with ongoing operations of E&P portfolio company located in Canada
- Represented a sponsor in connection with formation of private equity fund focused on acquiring working interests in upstream oil and gas assets, with commitments of more than $40 million
- Represented a sponsor in connection with formation of private equity fund focused on acquiring working interests in upstream oil and gas assets, with commitments of more than $400 million
- Represented a sponsor in connection with formation and operation of parallel commercial real estate funds
- Represented a sponsor in connection with capitalization of developer of self-storage real estate assets
- Represented a family office in connection with its $10 million venture capital commitment
- Represented an oilfield service company in connection with $10 million equity investment by a private equity sponsor
- Represented a privately held oilfield services company in connection with the sale of a majority stake to a publicly traded strategic buyer
- Represented the majority owners of wholesale distributor of pipe, fittings, valves and related products in sale and recapitalization to private equity firm
- Represented a leader in high-end multifamily development, construction and property management in connection with a $98 million joint venture to construct a 350-unit Class A luxury multifamily development in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Represented an owner of gas and service stations and convenience stores in South Texas with sale of assets to a strategic buyer
- Represented a target company – a developer and operator of a logistic-centric industrial park – in connection with the sale of a majority stake to a sponsor-backed midstream energy company
- Represented a majority owner of a heavy equipment supply company in connection with the leveraged buyout of minority owners
- Represented a privately held logistics and transportation company in connection with a cross-border strategic acquisition
- Represented a sponsor and its wholly owned portfolio company in connection with strategic acquisition of a records retrieval company
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D.
- University of Houston, MBA
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.S.
- Houston Producers Forum
- Small Steps Young Professionals
- Ones to Watch, The Best Lawyers in America guide, Houston Mergers and Acquisition Law, 2023-2024; Houston Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2024