Samuel J. Stone is a Los Angeles Labor and Employment attorney and a member of the firm's Labor, Employment and Benefits Group. He represents employers of all sizes on a variety of litigation issues, complex civil and criminal investigations, and advice-and-counsel matters, including first-chairing a number of bench trials, administrative hearings and administrative appeals to decision. His clients include companies in the retail, hospitality, financial, legal services, construction, manufacturing, and transportation industries, including international airlines and carriers.
Mr. Stone frequently handles sensitive employment matters involving complex trade secret and restrictive covenant disputes; high-stakes whistleblower, harassment, discrimination, and retaliation claims and investigations; and wage-and-hour class and representative actions. Mr. Stone also is experienced in advising on and litigating issues involving unfair labor practices, misclassification, reasonable accommodation and leave law, WARN Act/reductions-in-force, and governmental compliance with a number of different state and federal requirements, among other areas.
During law school, Mr. Stone was a member of the Southwestern Law Review and academic chair of the Trial Advocacy Honors Program. He also served as an extern in the Hardcore Gang Division of the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.
Labor Relations for Management
- Secured dismissal without leave to amend an unlawful secondary activity claim brought against a major construction industry employer association for failure to state a claim
- Assisted with high-profile negotiations involving union threat to picket and handbill presidential debates
- Advised on furloughs and mass layoffs of international airline's unionized workforce
- Advised on WARN Act and OWBPA compliance for complete closure of colleges
Trade Secrets and Restrictive Covenants
- Represented major legal services provider in misappropriation of trade secret and conspiracy case alleging theft of highly-advanced AI technology brought against former C-suite executive
- Advised on complex multijurisdictional issues in furtherance of successfully obtaining nationwide injunction barring dissemination of major insurer's confidential information and trade secrets
- Obtained successive temporary restraining orders barring client's competitor from punitively enforcing unlawful non-competition agreement and compelling arbitration against client's employee
Civil Rights, Discrimination and Retaliation
- Successfully negotiated favorable settlement of #metoo claims brought against producer
- Secured dismissal of whistleblower retaliation claim brought against airline and successfully defended dismissal of claim on appeal
- Succeeded in compelling sexual harassment claims to arbitration with an unsigned arbitration agreement
- Defended numerous wrongful termination claims brought against multinational security contractor
- Conducted and assisted in numerous internal investigations into alleged sexual harassment, sexual assault and workplace violence
Government Investigations and Compliance
- Managed multinational client's response to California Department of Justice site inspections of immigration detention facility and subpoenas, including preparing staff for government interviews and facilitating on-the-ground response to government officials
- Represented employees as pool counsel for internal investigations into banking fraud allegations and advised in follow-on federal grand jury matters
- Represented client in appeals of 40 related adverse administrative decisions with cumulative adverse decisions totaling in excess of $10 million
- Advised market leader in highly regulated industry on compliance in connection with criminal indictments and investigations