Ben W. Subin
Ben W. Subin is a partner in Holland & Knight's Orlando and Miami offices. He is the Practice Group Leader of the firm's Florida Construction Industry Group and serves as a member of the firm's Directors Committee.
Mr. Subin's practice focuses on domestic and international construction contracting and federal government contracts. He represents contractors, owners and manufacturers on a range of energy, infrastructure and industrial projects, including power generation facilities, seawater desalination facilities, water/wastewater treatment facilities, reservoirs, citrus processing facilities, petrochemical facilities, wind turbine projects, commercial buildings, hotels and hospitals. Mr. Subin's intricate knowledge of the industry and the challenges that can potentially impact project performance, productivity and profitability allow him to deliver comprehensive and results-driven legal strategies for each client. His multidimensional approach is focused on helping clients meet business objectives, anticipate risks and protect their interests while pressing toward the best possible resolution.
Representative matters include:
In the energy industry, Mr. Subin has extensively represented engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractors and turbine manufacturers on power plant projects both domestically and abroad.
- defense of claims totaling $30 million arising from the construction of a 1,000 megawatt (MW) power generation facility
- defense of claims totaling $50 million arising from the construction of a 1,300 MW power generation facility
- defense of claims totaling $500 million arising from a turbine purchase agreement
- defense of claims totaling $80 million arising from the construction of a 1,040 MW power generation facility
- pursuit and defense of claims totaling $29.2 million arising from the design and construction of 53.5 MW biomass power generation facility
Infrastructure and Public-Private Partnerships
Mr. Subin routinely represents prime and EPC contractors in a variety of matters related to reservoir, highway, bridge and other infrastructure projects.
- lead project counsel to the EPC contractor responsible for the $2.3 billion, six-year reconstruction of a major highway corridor, which is the largest public-private partnership (P3) in the U.S. market to date
- prosecution of claims for a prime contractor arising out of an $81 million contract for modifications to 10.7 miles of roadway
- defense of a prime contractor for claims of $200 million arising from the construction of a reservoir
Within the industrial sector, Mr. Subin has represented a number clients in matters involving seawater desalination facilities, cement processing facilities, citrus processing facilities and manufacturing plants.
- defense of a prime contractor for claims in excess of $51 million arising from the construction of a 50 million-gallons-per-day seawater desalination facility
- representing a prime contractor in pursuit of claims totaling $45 million arising from the construction of cement processing facility
Condominium, Hotel and Mixed-Use
Mr. Subin's experience also includes representation of prime contractors in the development and construction of commercial condominiums, hotels, resorts and mixed-use projects.
- defense of a prime contractor for claims in excess of $40 million arising from the presence of Chinese drywall in a condominium project
- representing a prime contractor in pursuit of claims arising from construction of a luxury condominium tower
- representing a prime contractor in pursuit of claims arising from the construction of an oceanfront hotel
Mr. Subin is Florida Bar Board Certified in Construction Law. He was among 54 attorneys in the nation named for two consecutive years as Client Service All-Stars by The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D.
- Rollins College, B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law
- Orange County Bar Association
- Construction Power 100, City & State Florida, 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Litigation - Construction, 2008-2024; Construction Law, 2017-2024
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2006-2023; Orlando Top 50, 2020-2023
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Construction, 2003-2023
- Who's Who Legal: Global, Construction, 2016-2023
- The Legal 500 USA, Real Estate and Construction: Construction, 2010-2012, 2014, 2016, 2019-2022
- Who's Who Legal, Thought Leader – Construction, 2020, 2022-2023
- Who's Who Legal: Florida, Construction, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Orlando Litigation - Construction Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- Client Service All-Star, The BTI Consulting Group, Inc., 2016, 2017
- Florida Bar Board Certified Construction Lawyer
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Construction Lawyers, 2013, 2017-2019, 2022
- Corporate Counsel Edition, Super Lawyers magazine
- Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend magazine, 2004-2009, 2014, 2016, 2017
- Best of the Bar, Orlando Business Journal