Sean J. Tevel
Sean Tevel is a private wealth services and international tax attorney in Holland & Knight's Miami office. Mr. Tevel advises foreign and domestic clients on U.S. federal income, gift and estate tax matters associated with their cross-border investments and businesses.
Mr. Tevel has significant experience with respect to the structuring of U.S. real estate investments, including the application of the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act of 1980 (FIRPTA). He often represents domestic and foreign funds on fund formation and associated structuring considerations for non-U.S. investors. He also regularly advises on joint venture transactions both in a domestic and cross-border context.
Mr. Tevel's international tax practice involves providing advice with respect to multinational trust and business structures, including the application of the controlled foreign corporation rules, the Passive Foreign Investment Company (PFIC) rules and international tax treaties.
Mr. Tevel has assisted many clients in the establishment of Qualified Opportunity Funds (QOFs) and the maximization of tax benefits associated with investments in Opportunity Zones (OZs).
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Tevel was a tax attorney in the Miami office of an international law firm.
- University of Miami School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- McGill University, B.A., Economics and Political Science
- Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners (STEP)
- The Florida Bar, Tax Section
- The Florida Bar, International Law Section
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Miami Tax Law Ones to Watch, 2021-2024
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Tax (Up & Coming), 2022, 2023
- Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2020