Duvol M. Thompson is a litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's New York office and a member of the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice.
Mr. Thompson's experience includes defending complex litigation claims in state and federal courts covering subjects such as commercial contracts, business torts, financial services and putative class actions. Mr. Thompson also is experienced in insurance and reinsurance litigation, as well as coverage disputes.
Mr. Thompson has experience with all facets of litigation, from pretrial discovery, including witness preparation and interviews, to taking and defending depositions, motion practice, and trial and appeals. He has successfully tried matters as lead trial counsel and defended them on appeal thereafter, first-chaired mediations and negotiated settlements for corporate clients. Mr. Thompson has also served as counsel for several firm clients in defense of class action lawsuits, ranging from claims brought under various state consumer protection statutes to wage and hour claims. Most recently, Mr. Thompson resolved class-action wage and hour claims arising under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Mr. Thompson's representations include the defense of a multinational energy company in an environmental litigation and insurance matter, where the claims involved historical environmental contamination of groundwater and soils. During the multiyear representation, Mr. Thompson managed all aspects of discovery, including case strategy, motion practice, depositions, document productions and management, and retention of vendors and expert witnesses. The nature of the claims also required successfully obtaining discovery from state and federal agencies.
Mr. Thompson has also expanded his practice to include real estate, including advising clients seeking foreclosures as well as litigation. His practice also includes preparing film and television production agreements and similar media projects.
In addition, Mr. Thompson was a member of the New York City Bar Association's Judiciary Committee, for which he evaluated judicial candidates for election, re-election, appointment and reappointment to judicial office.
Mr. Thompson was recently named a 2019 Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD). LCLD is a program created to identify high-potential attorneys from diverse backgrounds and offer training to help advance the next generation of leaders in the legal profession.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Thompson was a two-time All-Ivy League and All-American cornerback at the University of Pennsylvania. He also played professionally in the National Football League (NFL).
- Representing a Fortune 100 multinational energy company defending against claims ($367 million) of insurance coverage
- Representing a company dealing in government prime contracts related to contractual claims among and between subcontractors
- Representing an unclaimed property firm in its defense against claims for tortious interference relating to a competitor's prospective economic advantage and with contractual relationships; successfully negotiated dismissal of claims with prejudice
- Representing a multinational corporation and e‐commerce company, providing consumer‐to‐consumer and business‐to‐consumer sales services via the internet; provide strategy and policy advice
- Representing a fraternal service organization against claims of breach of contract; continuous representation of organization to provide policy advice to organization concerning analysis of state by state insurance regulations
- Participating in defense of insurance syndicates in a class action alleging antitrust and Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) violations among and between the syndicates and brokers operating in the insurance market
- Representing national corporation against class action consumer fraud claims in district court
- Conducted internal investigation of a pharmaceutical company, working with outside forensic auditors and conducting interviews with executives and employees of both the parent and subsidiary companies; provided policy recommendations to parent company
- Served as second‐chair in a private mediation proceeding, successfully negotiated a settlement regarding breach of contract and unjust enrichment claims brought by vendor
- Represented a company dealing in government defense contracts against its subcontractor for a dispute over a final invoice submitted after government determined final overhead rates
- Representing condominium developers and cooperative boards in development, sale and other disputes
- Representing international restaurant chain in property disputes related to defaults
- Representing corporation proactively seeking foreclosure action and coordinated foreclosure sheriff's sale of collateral
- Provided advice to trustee appointed as receiver related to a foreclosure action in New Jersey state court
- Provided advice to lender related to default and commercial foreclosure proceedings, including advice on state executive orders and effects on foreclosures
- Representing national football club in New York State Human Rights Law and New York City Human Rights Law action in New York state court
- Representing film production companies related to preparing organizational documents and preparing film production services agreements and film development agreements
- Prepare non-disclosure agreements related to transactional deals
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Political Science
- New Jersey
- New York
- All State Courts in New York
- All State Courts in New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- New York City Bar Association
- Metropolitan Black Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- New York City Bar Association Judiciary Committee
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellows Program, 2019
- Rising Star, New York Super Lawyers magazine, 2015-2020