Duvol M. Thompson is an experienced litigation and business disputes attorney whose practice covers many industries, including financial services, insurance, consumer products, and media and entertainment. Mr. Thompson is also the co-chair of the New York office Diversity Committee.
Clients have sought Mr. Thompson's representation for matters including defending complex breach of contact claims in various state and federal courts, commercial real estate disputes and consumer class actions. Mr. Thompson is also experienced in advising media and entertainment clients in various projects and transactions.
Mr. Thompson is a staunch advocate of all clients and understands that a successful representation includes understanding the nature of the dispute, understanding the client's objectives, risk and risk tolerance. A firm appreciation of the above considerations has led Mr. Thompson to obtain results that match legal strategy with client objectives.
Mr. Thompson has both first- and second-chair trial experience, and has often negotiated favorable settlements for corporate clients. He has also served as counsel for several firm clients in defense of class action lawsuits, ranging from claims brought under various state consumer protection statutes to wage and hour claims.
Mr. Thompson's recent representations include the defense of a multinational energy company in an environmental litigation and insurance matter, the defense of a media and entertainment company involving claims of breach of contract and tortious interference, the defense of an international manufacturing company involving breach of contract and breach of warranty claims, and the defense of an investment fund related to breach of contract claims. Mr. Thompson has expanded his practice to include real estate, including advising clients seeking foreclosures as well as litigation. His practice also includes preparing transactional documents related to film and television production, as well as other related media projects and agreements.
Mr. Thompson was named a 2019 Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD). LCLD is a program created to identify high-potential attorneys from diverse backgrounds and offer training to help advance the next generation of leaders in the legal profession.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Thompson was a two-time All-Ivy League and All-American cornerback at the University of Pennsylvania. He also played professionally in the National Football League (NFL).
- Served as co-lead counsel successfully representing a plaintiff in a commercial dispute in federal district court, involving claims of common law fraud, civil conspiracy, alter-ego/veil-piercing liability, fraudulent transfers, and aiding and abetting fraud. The court granted liability on all counts against the defendants.
- Representing national television network in advertising and commercial sales dispute with vendor concerning claims of breach of contract, tortious interference, and breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing
- Representing a Fortune 100 multinational energy company defending against claims ($367 million) of insurance coverage
- Representing a company dealing in government prime contracts related to contractual claims among and between subcontractors
- Representing an unclaimed property firm in its defense against claims for tortious interference relating to a competitor's prospective economic advantage and with contractual relationships; successfully negotiated dismissal of claims with prejudice
- Representing a multinational corporation and e‐commerce company, providing consumer‐to‐consumer and business‐to‐consumer sales services via the internet; provide strategy and policy advice
- Representing a fraternal service organization against claims of breach of contract; continuous representation of organization to provide policy advice to organization concerning analysis of state by state insurance regulations
- Participating in defense of insurance syndicates in a class action alleging antitrust and Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) violations among and between the syndicates and brokers operating in the insurance market
- Representing national corporation against class action consumer fraud claims in district court
- Conducted internal investigation of a pharmaceutical company, working with outside forensic auditors and conducting interviews with executives and employees of both the parent and subsidiary companies; provided policy recommendations to parent company
- Served as second‐chair in a private mediation proceeding, successfully negotiated a settlement regarding breach of contract and unjust enrichment claims brought by vendor
- Represented a company dealing in government defense contracts against its subcontractor for a dispute over a final invoice submitted after government determined final overhead rates
- Representing condominium developers and cooperative boards in development, sale and other disputes
- Representing international restaurant chain in property disputes related to defaults
- Representing corporation proactively seeking foreclosure action and coordinated foreclosure sheriff's sale of collateral
- Provided advice to trustee appointed as receiver related to a foreclosure action in New Jersey state court
- Provided advice to lender related to default and commercial foreclosure proceedings, including advice on state executive orders and effects on foreclosures
- Collaborated with Media and Entertainment Team to advise a mobile gaming sportsbook on renewal of sponsorship deal with professional sports league
- Represented an NFL team in New York State Human Rights Law and New York City Human Rights Law action in New York state court
- Representing film production companies related to preparing organizational documents and preparing film production services agreements and film development agreements
- Advising a mobile gaming sportsbook on various agreements, including sponsorship deals, licensing, market access and incubator programs
- Advised on a multiyear media and sponsorship collaboration agreement related to certain advertising, content and promotional rights in connection with broadcast and digital media platforms
- Advised on an Artist Appreciation Rights Agreement and Artist Appreciation Rights Plan related to acquisition of a global music and entertainment platform
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Political Science
- New Jersey
- New York
- All State Courts in New York
- All State Courts in New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- New York City Bar Association
- Metropolitan Black Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- New York City Bar Association Judiciary Committee
- Notable Diverse Leader in Law, Crain's New York Business, 2022
- Rising Star, New York Super Lawyers magazine, 2015-2023
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellows Program, 2019