- Holland & Knight’s Public Finance Team includes more than 20 attorneys who have decades of experience in all aspects of public finance issues.
- Our firm is consistently ranked among the top bond counsel and underwriter's counsel firms in the United States by Thomson Financial.
- During the past five years, our attorneys have participated in the financing of more than $18.2 billion in principal amount of debt in connection with virtually every type of governmental issue.
Holland & Knight's Public Finance Team has participated in governmental debt issues since the 1960s and has been listed in The Bond Buyer’s Municipal Marketplace (the "Red Book") since 1975.
On a national basis, members of our team have served as bond counsel, underwriter's counsel, disclosure counsel or other multiple roles as counsel for more than $18.2 billion in principal amount of debt during the past five calendar years.
As part of Holland & Knight's Financial Services Group, our Public Finance Team is currently staffed with more than 20 attorneys around the country, as well as a senior policy advisor, who collectively devote all or a portion of their practice to public finance, including our in-house tax counsel.
Our attorneys assist clients in the development of innovative and creative financings and have significant experience in all areas of public finance and municipal securities, including the issuance of:
- Build America Bonds
- commercial paper and other interim financing programs
- liquidity and credit enhanced financings
- puts and calls
- recovery zone economic development bonds
- recovery zone facility bonds
- sale/leaseback transactions
- swaps and other derivative financial products
- tax credit bonds
- tax-exempt bonds for Native American tribes, including Tribal Economic Development Bonds
- variable rate bonds
- windows bonds
- zero coupon bonds
- various other financing techniques
Our Public Finance Team has participated in connection with virtually every type of governmental issue, including:
- development and redevelopment
- gas tax, excise tax and sales tax financings
- general obligation
- housing, including military housing projects
- lease revenue
- municipal (enterprise fund) revenue
- other post employment benefits (OPEB) and pension obligations
- sewer revenue
- special assessment
- tax allocation and tax increment
- tax and revenue anticipation financings
We have also participated in issuances by special purpose governmental entities, such as:
- aviation and port authorities
- correctional institution authorities
- educational facilities authorities
- health facilities authorities
- housing finance authorities
- industrial development authorities
- redevelopment agencies
- special taxing districts
Our experience enables us to provide comprehensive representation to clients involving public finance law and municipal finance transactions.
Holland & Knight received a metropolitan first-tier ranking in the 2018 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" guide for Public Finance Law in the Tampa market. Partner Richard Stephens has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America guide for Public Finance Law since 2007. Additionally, Partner Edward Vogel has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America guide for Public Finance Law since 2005 and was named 2013 "Lawyer of the Year" for Public Finance Law in Tampa. Mr. Vogel has been ranked in the top-tier in the Chambers USA guide for Florida Banking & Finance: Public Finance since 2006.