Life Insurance Premium Finance
- Holland & Knight's Life Insurance Premium Finance Team represents institutional clients through loan structures, quality documentation, advising on trust formation, intergenerational planning, insurance policy and collateral matters.
- Our experienced attorneys provide counsel to lenders in refinancings of existing life insurance premium loan facilities.
- Our team is supported across Holland & Knight's respected Private Wealth Services and Financial Services practices.
Among the nation's largest law firms, Holland & Knight provides representation in litigation, business, real estate and governmental law in 27 offices throughout the world.
Our Private Wealth Services Group is the largest private wealth practice in the United States, with one of the highest concentrations of Fellows in the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel nationwide. Counting two chairpersons of the American Bar Association's Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section among our team, we have a national reputation as leaders in complex life insurance planning and financing transactions.
Our Financial Services practice group comprises more than 200 attorneys and represents commercial banks, institutional lenders, specialty finance companies, hedge funds, insurance companies, international quasi-government agencies and other lenders in a wide range of secured credit facilities to individuals, trusts, businesses and other organizations. Sixteen of our lawyers are ranked in Banking & Finance by Chambers USA.
We Handle All Types of Life Insurance Premium Finance Transactions
Holland & Knight's Life Insurance Premium Finance Team leverages more than 60 years of combined legal experience in the private wealth and financial services sectors to efficiently prepare loan structures and quality documentation for its institutional clients, while advising on trust formation, intergenerational planning, insurance policy and collateral matters.
In addition to numerous traditional premium financings in which an irrevocable life insurance trust serves as borrower (with credit support in the form of a guaranty from the grantor, as needed), we have also represented lenders in multiple split-dollar planning arrangements (both economic benefit and loan regime) in which the grantor of one or more life insurance trusts serves as borrower and loan proceeds are advanced from the grantor to such trusts. We also serve as counsel to lenders in refinancings of existing life insurance premium loan facilities.
A few of our representative transactions are listed below.
- Represented a national private bank in a multi-staged closing of a $240 million premium financing to a family-owned limited partnership owned by multiple life insurance trusts, secured by 18 policies on the lives of three insured individuals
- Represented a national private bank in a $200 million intergenerational, split-dollar premium financing secured by the underlying policy and multiple securities accounts
- Represented leading trust companies, banks and asset management providers on multiple multimillion-dollar life insurance premium financing transactions. Approximately $250 million per year in aggregate loan proceeds in recent years, totaling over $1 billion in total loan proceeds
Leading Lawyers on Your Side
Our Private Wealth Services Group has extensive experience handling a broad spectrum of work for our clients. Highly qualified and highly responsive to change, members of our team have been recognized as leaders in the private wealth industry by a variety of publications.
Recent recognitions include:
- USA Private Client Team of the Year for the East Coast, Chambers High Net Worth guide, 2020
- Leading Firm for Nationwide Private Wealth Law, Chambers High Net Worth guide, 2016-2020
- Joshua Husbands is among only four lawyers ranked by Chambers High Net Worth in Private Wealth Law: Life Insurance Specialists in the USA
- Band 1 ranking for Private Wealth Law in Florida, Massachusetts and Oregon; Private Wealth Disputes in California; and Private Aircraft in Global-wide, Chambers High Net Worth guide, 2020
- First-tier ranking in Trusts & Estates Law, U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" guide, 2014-2021
- Law Firm of the Year in Trusts & Estates Law, U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" guide, 2017