Eddie A. Jauregui is a litigation partner in Holland & Knight's Los Angeles office and co-chair of the firm's White Collar Defense and Investigations Team. A former federal prosecutor, Mr. Jauregui focuses his practice on government and corporate internal investigations, corporate compliance and training, white collar criminal defense and complex business disputes. Mr. Jauregui regularly represents companies, financial institutions, and senior corporate officers and directors in high-stakes matters brought by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), state attorneys general, and other prosecutorial and enforcement agencies.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Jauregui served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney (AUSA) in Los Angeles, where he prosecuted high-profile fraud, extortion and public corruption cases. As a Major Frauds AUSA, Mr. Jauregui investigated and prosecuted complex financial crimes, including money laundering, bank and wire fraud, investment advisor fraud, mortgage fraud, defense procurement fraud, import/export crimes, and tax crimes. In addition, Mr. Jauregui handled parallel investigations involving the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the DOJ's Civil Fraud Division, and served for several years as the U.S. Attorney's Office's Procurement Fraud Coordinator.
An accomplished trial lawyer, Mr. Jauregui was part of the trial team that tried and convicted former Los Angeles County Sheriff Leroy Baca and Undersheriff Paul Tanaka for obstruction of justice in connection with a federal civil rights investigation of the Los Angeles County jails. For his role in these landmark prosecutions, Mr. Jauregui received a California Lawyer of the Year Award in 2018 and a special recognition from the Los Angeles County Bar Association Criminal Justice Section. He also served as a deputy chief in the General Crimes Section, where he supervised and trained his fellow prosecutors. As an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Mr. Jauregui handled hundreds of criminal matters, tried numerous jury trials, and briefed and argued multiple cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals.
A recognized leader in the legal community, Mr. Jauregui currently serves as the program co-chair of the Southern California American Bar Association (ABA) White Collar Crime Committee, chair of the California Lawyers Association's (CLA) Federal Courts Committee, and member of the CLA Criminal Law Section Executive Committee. He also serves as an adjunct instructor at the University of Southern California Gould School of Law.
Deeply committed to advancing diversity in the legal profession, Mr. Jauregui has led diversity, recruiting and mentoring efforts for more than a decade in both private practice and government service. He currently serves on the firm's Los Angeles Diversity Committee and is an active member of the LGBTQ and Hispanic Affinity Groups. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Mexican American Bar Foundation and is presently a fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD).
Mr. Jauregui graduated from Columbia Law School, where he was recognized as a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. During law school, Mr. Jauregui served as extern to then-Judge Sonia Sotomayor of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. Upon graduation, he served as a law clerk to the Hon. Jan E. DuBois of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, and went on to practice for two New York law firms, where he practiced white collar defense and investigations.
- Columbia Law School, J.D.
- Harvard University Kennedy School of Government, M.P.P.
- Occidental College, B.A.
- Nueva York
- Mexican American Bar Foundation, Board of Trustees
- American Bar Association, White Collar Crime Committee, Southern California Region, Program Co-Chair
- California Lawyers Association, Criminal Law Section, Executive Committee Member
- California Lawyers Association, Federal Courts Committee
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Los Angeles Chapter
- Leadership Council on Leadership Diversity, Fellow, 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2023, 2024
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) Rising Star, 2021
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Nominee, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2021
- California Lawyer of the Year (CLAY) Award, Daily Journal, 2018
- Special Recognition Award, Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA), 2018
- Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40, LGBT Bar Association, 2014