Government Contracts Seminar: Understanding the False Claims Act – Considerations for ANCs
Holland & Knight Program
Anchorage, AK 99501
Please join members of Holland & Knight's Government Contracts Group and White Collar Defense and Investigations Team as we discuss the Federal False Claims Act and special considerations for Alaska Native Corporations (ANCs).
Our panel will focus on the civil False Claims Act (FCA) and the particular risks and pitfalls that face federal contractors, including ANCs operating in the Small Business Administration's (SBA) federal contracting programs. Our panel will also discuss important issues peripheral to the FCA, including insurance coverage, proper handling of whistleblowers, and crafting effective compliance programs in light of these and other requirements.
This seminar is beneficial for in-house counsel, compliance and risk management officers, and those involved in the claims and invoicing processes.
8:00 – 8:30 a.m. | Registration and Breakfast
8:30 – 10:15 a.m. | Panel I
10:15 – 10:30 a.m. | Networking Break
10:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. | Panel I Continued
12:15 – 1:00 p.m. | Lunch
1:00 – 2:15 p.m. | Panel II
2:15 – 2:30 p.m. | Break
2:30 – 3:45 p.m. | Panel II Continued
Understanding the Civil False Claims Act
Presenters: John Irving and Bob Tompkins
Moderator: Sarah Curtis
- Overview of the civil FCA
- Areas of particular risk for government contractors
- Recent developments and trends in FCA litigation, including United States ex rel. Escobar
- Special areas of risk in the SBA's federal contracting programs
Important Collateral Issues Related to the False Claims Act
Presenters: Howard Trickey and Bob Tompkins
Moderator: Walter Featherly
- Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) mandatory disclosure requirements
- Proper treatment of whistleblowers and avoiding retaliation claims
- Suspension and debarment
- Ethics and compliance program considerations
- Insurance and risk management
Continuing Legal Education
Holland & Knight will make all reasonable efforts to seek CLE credit for this program in Alaska only.