U.S. Tax Reform and its Impact on Family Offices
Private Wealth attorneys David Thal, Brent Berselli and Sean Tevel joined a Chambers High Net Worth Webinar titled "U.S. Tax Reform and its Impact on Family Offices." They discussed a number of key issues and considerations family offices should be aware of in relation to U.S. tax reform policy.
Key discussion points included:
- Inbound investment into U.S. through non-U.S. family offices
- Non-U.S. persons establishing family offices in the U.S.
- U.S. family offices and tax reform considerations
- Family office structuring after Tax Reform Act of 2017 (TCJA) eliminated most deductions for investment-related expenses
- Structuring business model to support deductibility of expenses
- Discussion of planning with C Corporations for both U.S.-based and non-U.S. family offices
- Alternative to C Corp structure using U.S. Tax Court decision in Lender Management LLC
- Potential for increased SEC/regulatory oversight on family offices
Please note registration is required to view this program.