Holland & Knight Data Privacy and Security Report: September 2023
Welcome to Holland & Knight's monthly data privacy and security news update that includes the latest in policy, regulatory updates and other significant developments. If you see anything in this report that you would like additional information on, please reach out to authors or members of Holland & Knight's Data Strategy, Security & Privacy Team.
- Government Shutdown Averted; McCarthy Ousted as Speaker
- Fourth Quarter Outlook
- New Bicameral Legislation on Targeted Advertising Introduced
- Schumer AI Insight Forum and Senate AI Hearings Focus on Privacy Implications
- Organizations Urge Senate to Consider Child Privacy and Protection Legislation
Executive and Departmental Updates
- CFPB Takes Aim at Data Brokers
- Privacy Oversight Board Issues Recommendations to Congress on Governmental Surveillance
- NTIA Releases RFC on Kids Online Safety Best Practices
- FTC's Sam Levine Takes Aim at Data Broker Industry
- Data Broker Law Clears California Legislature
- Attorneys General Write to Congress on AI-Generated CSAM
- CCPA Issues Draft Privacy Risk Assessment Regulations
Information contained in this alert is for the general education and knowledge of our readers. It is not designed to be, and should not be used as, the sole source of information when analyzing and resolving a legal problem, and it should not be substituted for legal advice, which relies on a specific factual analysis. Moreover, the laws of each jurisdiction are different and are constantly changing. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. If you have specific questions regarding a particular fact situation, we urge you to consult the authors of this publication, your Holland & Knight representative or other competent legal counsel.