Antonio Barrera is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Mexico City office. Mr. Barrera has more than 12 years of experience in the energy sector and dispute resolution, primarily in commercial, administrative and energy law, in addition to domestic and international commercial arbitration. He focuses his practice on advising and representing national and international companies in the energy, financial and infrastructure development sectors.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Barrera was an attorney at several Mexico City law firms, where he focused his practice on energy and administrative law, as well as arbitration.
In addition, Mr. Barrera served as professor of civil and commercial procedure at Tecnologico de Monterrey, as an associate professor of alternative dispute resolution at Universidad Panamericana, and as an associate professor of international commercial arbitration at Universidad La Salle, all of them in Mexico City.
- Advised and represented one of the top consumers of natural gas in Mexico for the implementation of several updates and modifications to its natural gas transportation permit, as well as in the drafting, negotiation and execution of several contracts related to the company's object
- Advised and represented one of the top generators of electricity in Mexico before agrarian courts, regarding a procedure involving the access rights to the power plant
- Advised and successfully represented a major construction client in an administrative procedure regarding the modification of its natural gas permits
- Advised and represented a Mexican client in the implementation of a biogas project before the Ministry of Energy
- Advised a client on various contentious proceedings before the federal courts of Mexico City
- Advised and successfully represented a client in a commercial procedure against a Mexican state oil company regarding the collection of unauthorized amounts under a natural gas commercialization contract
- Advised and successfully represented a client in a contentious administrative proceeding before the Federal Court of Administrative Justice regarding the imposition of fines by the National Commission for the Protection and Defense of Financial Services Users for alleged noncompliance with the Law for Transparency and Regulation of Financial Services
- The University of Texas School of Law, LL.M., Global Energy and International Arbitration
- Escuela Libre de Derecho, Diploma, Energy Law
- Escuela Libre de Derecho, Diploma, International Arbitration
- Universidad La Salle, J.D.
- International Chamber of Commerce Mexico, Comité de Solución de Controversias en Obras de Infraestructura, Vicepresident
- International Chamber of Commerce Young Arbitrators Forum (ICC YAF), 2012-Present
- Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (Young ICCA), 2013-Present
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Dispute Resolution: Litigation, 2022
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Energy and Natural Resources, 2021