Alex Buchanan is a finance and commercial lending attorney in Holland & Knight's Nashville office for more than 35 years, municipalities, utility districts, government debt issuers, nonprofit organizations and traditional lenders have relied upon Mr. Buchanan to help them navigate ever-changing economic conditions. He has extensive experience in loan transactions, mergers and acquisitions, private placements of equity and debt securities, and healthcare transactions. Mr. Buchanan leads the field with his experience and knowledge of tax-exempt bond transactions and public purpose debt funding.
Both borrowers and lenders seek Mr. Buchanan's counsel and respect his organizational skills, responsiveness and knowledge of the law. He has routinely served as counsel for debt structuring and loan closings of corporate borrowers involving senior, mezzanine and subordinate loans.
Clients also benefit from his knowledge of Payment in Lieu of Tax (PILOT) agreements, as well as tax increment bond matters.
Mr. Buchanan has developed and presented several seminars on conventional financing issues and the laws governing public finance transactions. He has also written extensively on public finance and other tax-exempt issues.
Mr. Buchanan regularly advises clients on general corporate and merger and acquisition matters and derivatives.
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., cum laude
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Health Law Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Metropolitan Historical Commission of Davidson County
- Easter Seals Tennessee, Inc., Former Board Member
- Cheekwood Fine Arts Center, Former Trustee, Executive Committee Member and Secretary
- Exchange Club of Nashville, Former President
- Girl Scout Council of Cumberland Valley, Former Board Member
- Vanderbilt Club, Former Board Member
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Administrative / Regulatory Law, 2009-2024; Corporate Law, 2008-2024; Public Finance Law, 2013-2024
- Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, Business Litigation, 2014-2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-Preeminent Rated Lawyer
- Top Tennessee Attorney, ALM