Matt Burnstein serves as executive partner of Holland & Knight's Nashville office. From 2014 until its combination with Holland & Knight, Mr. Burnstein was Chair/Managing Partner of Waller Lansden Dortch & Davis LLP. As Chair/Managing Partner, Mr. Burnstein was the chief executive officer of Waller, overseeing the strategic growth and direction of the firm and the management of all aspects of the firm's operations.
As a practicing lawyer, Mr. Burnstein is a corporate lawyer whose practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, regularly advising healthcare companies, private equity and venture capital funds, and emerging companies. Mr. Burnstein has been recognized by clients for his instincts and experience, understanding of priorities and strategic objectives, and determination to get deals done. Responsive and sensitive to client business needs, Mr. Burnstein works effectively with opposing counsel to keep transactions on track.
Mr. Burnstein's clients have included hospitals and health systems doing acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures, private equity funds buying and selling platform companies and those companies making bolt-on acquisitions, emerging businesses and venture capital firms, ambulatory surgery, behavioral healthcare and a national research university.
- Led Waller during a period of substantial growth from 2014 to 2023 and leading the firm through its combination with Holland & Knight in March 2023
- Represented leading ambulatory surgery center companies in dozens of acquisitions, developments and syndications of LLCs and limited partnerships in joint ventures with physicians and/or hospitals
- Represented two publicly traded behavioral healthcare services companies in all aspects of their mergers and acquisitions programs, including a $250 million acquisition, a $145 million acquisition, the $70 million disposition of a non-core business and multiple single-facility acquisitions
- Advised an acute care hospital company in the acquisition of large physician practices and independent physicians associations and the formation of multiple joint ventures with technology providers and ancillary service line providers
- Handled more than 100 private placements on behalf of investors and issuers
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., magna cum laude
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law; Section on Health Law
- American Health Law Association
- Power 100 Disruptors, Nashville Business Journal, 2023
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Eminent Practitioner in Corporate/M&A work, 2011-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Corporate Law, 2010-2024; Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2013-2024
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- Nashville Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2018-2020, 2022
- Nashville Post, In Charge, Legal, 2019-2023