Marty Clarke is a Connecticut and New York corporate and private equity attorney who represents private equity funds as well as public and private companies in mergers, acquisitions and divestitures. He also counsels corporate clients and emerging companies in connection with a wide range of business transactions, including joint ventures, restructuring, and debt and equity financing. Mr. Clarke is the co-leader of the firm's Corporate, M&A and Securities Practice Group in the New York/Stamford region and serves on the firm's Directors Committee.
In addition, Mr. Clarke serves on the board of directors and provides pro bono services to Abilis Inc., a nonprofit organization that provides services for individuals with special needs and their families.
Mr. Clarke served as a former law clerk/court crier for Judge Charles M. Metzner at the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. Prior to his legal career, he gained practical experience working for Chase Manhattan Bank and Marine Midland Bank, where he was involved in both operations and the hedging of derivatives, including foreign currency and U.S. dollar interest rate swaps.
Mr. Clarke's representative matters include:
- representation of High Ridge Brands Co., a portfolio company of Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, in its acquisition of Dr. Fresh LLC
- representation of Brynwood Partners its acquisition of Sunny Delight Beverages Co. from J.W. Child Associates
- representation of a Fortune 500 client in its acquisition of an engineering company focused on analyzing, predicting and managing the health of critical systems
- representation of Brynwood Partners in its sale of DeMet's Candy Company for $221 million to Yildiz Holdings A.S., owner of the Godiva® chocolate brand
- representation of a financial technology company in its sale to a private equity-backed corporation
- representation of Brynwood Partners in the formation of Harvest Hill Beverage Company and its acquisition of the Juicy Juice® business from Nestlé USA
- representation of Harvest Hill Beverage Company in its acquisition of American Beverage Corp., manufacturer and marketer of Little Hug® Fruit Barrels and Daily's® alcoholic cocktail drinks and mixers
- representation of Energy Equity Partners L.P. in its sale of Clearfield Energy L.P., a 125-year-old crude oil, condensate and water services company with operations in Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia, to Crosstex Energy L.P. and Crosstex Energy Inc.
- representation of drug development company in connection with its venture capital financing and licensing transactions
- representation of High Ridge Brands Co. in its acquisition of Continental Fragrances Ltd., owner of the Salon Grafix® hair styling brand
- representation of Fortune 1000 company in its acquisition of a specialty manufacturing company
- representation of Back to Nature Foods Company in its acquisition of the SnackWell's® business from Mondelēz Global LLC
- representation of venture capital partnership focused on healthcare investing in its formation and capitalization of corporations dedicated to the development of novel therapeutic applications
- representation of financial services company in connection with its debt and equity financing transactions
- representation of Brynwood Partners in the formation of JPC Acquisition Co. and the acquisition of Joseph's Pasta Company from Nestlé Prepared Foods Company
- representation of division of a Fortune 500 company in its acquisition of an interest in a decision sciences and analytics services company
- representation of High Ridge Brands Co. in its acquisition of various brands from the Dial Corporation Inc., including L.A. Looks®, Dep®, Zero Frizz®, Thicker Fuller Hair®, Coast®, Soft & Dri®, and Pure & Natural®
- representation of Fortune 500 company in its acquisition of a specialized helicopter business
- representation of Golden Sun Holdings Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of private equity fund Brynwood Partners, in connection with its acquisition of Newhall Laboratories, a leading marketer of widely recognized personal care brands including La Bella®
- representation of Balance Bar Holdings in connection with its sale of Balance Bar Company, a leader in the nutrition/energy bar category, to NBTY Inc., a global leader in vitamins, supplements and active nutrition products and a portfolio company of The Carlyle Group
- representation of Pearson Candy Company in its acquisition of the Bit-O-Honey candy brand from Nestlé