Matt Cox represents clients in many areas of intellectual property (IP) law, including patent preparation and prosecution, trademarks, patent and trademark litigation, patent diligence for corporate transactions, patent opinion work, intellectual property licensing, counseling clients in overall IP strategy and IP portfolio management. Mr. Cox has prepared and prosecuted more than 150 U.S. patent applications in a variety of technical fields, and he has extensive experience in the areas of mechanical and electro-mechanical systems, medical devices, sporting goods, automotive, manufacturing, microfluidic devices, materials science and aerospace applications.
A results-oriented attorney, Mr. Cox enjoys the diversity of his patent-focused legal practice. In addition to drafting and prosecuting patent applications, he also frequently represents clients in patent-related disputes in U.S. federal courts. His experience also includes patent licensing matters.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering
- Vanderbilt University, M.S., Mechanical Engineering
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- ITC Trial Lawyers Association (ITCTLA)
- Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association (TIPLA)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Rising Star, Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, 2016-2019