Matthew Detzel is a Boston litigation attorney who focuses his practice on helping clients address and overcome complex problems in the courtroom and the boardroom. A tech-forward, creative problem-solver, Mr. Detzel brings the innovator's spirit from his past work in the technology sector to his roles as trusted adviser and tireless advocate.
As an adviser, Mr. Detzel leverages his deep understanding of technology to help clients navigate and comply with complex regulatory requirements, particularly in matters of data privacy, cybersecurity and information governance such as data breach avoidance and response, records retention and defensible disposition of sensitive information.
As a litigator, Mr. Detzel has helped clients successfully advance creative legal theories and make new law in several fields and achieve exemplary results in complex, high-stakes litigation and class actions across several legal disciplines. Mr. Detzel's experience includes representing clients in a wide range of contract and business disputes, including intellectual property (IP) infringement; constitutional challenges; Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and healthcare benefits litigation; antitrust, unfair competition and deceptive trade practices; intentional torts; and violations of the federal Racketeering Influenced Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) and similar state laws. He is proficient with cutting-edge tools and techniques for e-discovery, including leveraging the use of machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI), and devotes considerable time to staying apprised of emerging technologies and new developments that could impact the businesses of clients and his practice.
Mr. Detzel also possesses considerable experience helping institutional clients detect, respond to and resolve complex fraud schemes, routinely serving as investigator, adviser and – when necessary – as an advocate in litigation, appeals and bankruptcy proceedings.
Not yet admitted to Massachusetts Bar; admitted to Florida Bar only and practicing under supervision of lawyers licensed to practice in Massachusetts.
- Represented a client and obtained denial of certification of putative class action alleging bank customers were overcharged through series of unauthorized and fraudulent recurring monthly withdrawals from customers' accounts for voluntary term life insurance benefit offered to account holders of bank on opt-in basis
- Represented clients in successful challenge to unlawful wastewater impact fee adopted and imposed by a city in contravention of rights guaranteed by Florida Constitution
- Represented clients in patent infringement action concerning unauthorized and unlicensed use and sale of patented light-emitting diode (LED) technology
- Represented clients in resisting claims of corporate raiding, breach of non-competition agreement and misappropriation of trade secrets arising out of protracted exodus of highly specialized personnel from former employer
- Represented a client and obtained summary judgment on automobile insurance carrier's claims of fraud, unjust enrichment, and violations of Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA) in action brought in federal district court for millions of dollars in payments made to medical clinics operating with fraudulently obtained licenses
- Represented a client manufacturer in defending alleged violations of Sherman Act, Robinson-Patman Act and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Act, breach of contract and fraudulent inducement arising out of agreement for manufacture of private label goods
- Represented a client on insurer's claims of fraud, unjust enrichment, violations of Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), FDUTPA and Florida laws prohibiting payment of kickbacks and patient brokering arising out of unlawful patient referral scheme by substance use disorder treatment facility, drug testing laboratory and recovery homes all owned by same person
- Represented a client and obtained summary judgment on client wholesaler's contract claims against regional reseller as well as reseller's counterclaims for tortious interference and fraudulent inducement concerning nearly $1 million worth of inventory procured in bad faith by reseller on short-term credit facility
- Represented a public energy utility client and guided investigation, evaluation and response to a suspected data breach incident
- Represented a large asset management firm in project to modernize and streamline firm's data retention policies and procedures, and help firm to implement defensible deletion strategies for specific classes of data
- Represented client in successful as-applied constitutional challenge to bankruptcy fees statute
- Represented clients in successful challenge under Florida Constitution to wastewater impact fee imposed by city
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Florida, B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- The Florida Bar
- Orange County Bar Association
- The Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Chester Bedell American Inn of Court, Alumnus
- Association of Certified E-Discovery Specialists (ACEDS)
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020