Matthew Detzel is an Orlando litigation attorney who focuses his practice on helping institutional clients detect, respond to and resolve complex fraud schemes, routinely serving as advisor, investigator and as an advocate in litigation and appeals. Mr. Detzel brings the innovator's spirit from his past work in the technology sector to each of these roles to help clients overcome the heightened challenges and increased threat of fraud and exposure brought about by the digital age. As an advisor, Mr. Detzel leverages his deep understanding of technology to assist clients on matters of data privacy, cybersecurity and information governance.
As a litigator, Mr. Detzel has helped clients achieve satisfactory results in a variety of matters, including contract disputes, constitutional challenges to legislative acts, claims of insurance fraud and combating deceptive or unfair trade practices. He is proficient with cutting edge tools and techniques for eDiscovery, and devotes considerable time to staying apprised of emerging technologies and new developments that could impact the businesses of clients and his practice. Mr. Detzel has also helped clients successfully advance creative legal theories and make new law in several fields.
Mr. Detzel devotes time to maintaining familiarity with emerging technologies, innovations and developments that could impact the businesses of clients. He does this so he can offer practical advice that might help clients avoid future liability.
- Represented a client and obtained summary judgment on automobile insurance carrier's claims of fraud, unjust enrichment, and violations of Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA) in action brought in federal district court for millions of dollars in payments made to medical clinics operating with fraudulently obtained licenses
- Represented a client and obtained summary judgment on client wholesaler's contract claims against regional reseller as well as reseller's counterclaims for tortious interference and fraudulent inducement concerning nearly $1 million worth of inventory procured in bad faith by reseller on short-term credit facility
- Represented public energy utility client and guided investigation, evaluation and response to a suspected data breach incident
- Represented client in successful as-applied constitutional challenge to bankruptcy fees statute
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Florida, B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- The Florida Bar
- Orange County Bar Association
- The Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Chester Bedell American Inn of Court, Alumnus
- Association of Certified E-Discovery Specialists (ACEDS)
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020