Stephen J. Dietrich is a business attorney located in the Denver office and practice group leader for the firm's Central and West Region business group. Mr. Dietrich focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), debt and equity financing, and restructuring transactions. He represents a variety of clients in all aspects of day-to-day operations, including commercial real estate development, finance, corporate governance and various third-party relationships. Mr. Dietrich is well-versed in the retail automotive space, where he advises automobile dealers or investors in the retail automotive industry on the acquisition and disposition of business operations, including manufacturer matters, real estate, financing and dealer licensing.
Mr. Dietrich handles the structuring and implementation of acquisition and disposition programs for corporations, family offices and private individuals to purchase operating businesses through asset and stock purchase transactions.
In addition, Mr. Dietrich advises companies in various other industries on formation, capital raising and operational matters. His experience includes work with a telecommunications startup company, a clothing manufacturer, an orthodontic device manufacturer and a medical device startup. Mr. Dietrich also represents companies with operations in several states and coordinates consistency and implementation efforts across platforms.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Dietrich worked for a global law firm in its Denver office, handling corporate and transactional matters for clients on a national basis.
- Counseled a Colorado-based automotive dealership on the sale of its eight franchises to one of the country's largest automotive retail and service companies
- Represented a family-owned auto dealership group and an investment firm in the acquisition of a Connecticut-based luxury brand auto dealer
- Counseled an auto dealership group regarding the structuring and implementation of an acquisition and consolidation plan on a nationwide basis
- Worked with a large auto dealership group owned by a family office to structure and implement an acquisition and consolidation plan on a nationwide basis
- Advised a growing dealership group on restructuring of operations and large multitiered loan facility to fund acquisition activities
- Advised several large dealer groups on multipoint and multijurisdictional acquisitions of operations and real estate
- Advised several private equity groups and family offices on internal structure and process in purchase transaction of multiple dealership groups
- Advised a large private real estate holding company on various components of real estate business, including retail acquisition and disposition, leasing, development and property management
- Assisted several startup technology companies regarding corporate governance and capital raising
- Restructured a large private dealership group, with operations in four states, in connection with an ownership transition, including manufacturer negotiation relating to ownership and ongoing control matters
- Advised several clients on large-scale platform financing for dealership groups with operations in several states and multiple flooring sources
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- University of Minnesota, B.A., Political Science, summa cum laude
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Academy, Volunteer
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Colorado, Volunteer
- Families First Colorado, Volunteer
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Corporate Law, 2019-2023
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Corporate Law/M&A, 2010-2022
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2021
- Rising Star, Colorado Super Lawyers magazine, 2009-2010