Robert P. Felber Jr.
Bob Felber is an intellectual property (IP) attorney in Holland & Knight's Nashville office who counsels companies on the selection, registration, maintenance and enforcement of IP rights. His practice is focused on helping clients establish domestic and international brand protection programs and resolve intellectual property disputes related to trademarks, copyrights and domain names.
Domestic and international companies seeking to expand or protect their intangible assets entrust their IP matters to Mr. Felber. Known by his peers and clients to be an accessible, approachable and practical communicator, he serves IP clients by translating complex legal issues into digestible narratives. Responsiveness, value and service are key components of his practice and leadership.
Clients who rely upon Mr. Felber's experience in clearing, securing, protecting and defending company IP include:
- hospitality companies
- healthcare companies
From family-owned, privately held companies to multibillion-dollar publicly traded companies, clients turn to Mr. Felber to assist in selecting, registering, maintaining and enforcing their brand names both in the U.S. and throughout the world.
Franchise agreements are complex and highly regulated forms of trademark, service mark and trade secret license agreements. Mr. Felber also counsels franchisors and guides them through the federal and state maze of franchise laws and regulations.
Clients appreciate the flexibility that he has provided through alternative fee arrangements. His willingness to be candid about fees and the client's cost sensitivities lays the foundation for long-term client relationships.
Prior to focusing his career in the field of IP, Mr. Felber's legal practice centered on corporate and securities transactions, including the formation of companies, securities offerings, and asset and stock purchase and sale transactions. This background outside the IP area helps him understand IP as it fits into the larger context of clients' corporate transactions.
- Assists a publicly traded retail chain in clearing, registering and enforcing trademark rights in multiple lines of private label products
- Assists an international clothing manufacturer in clearing, registering and enforcing trademark rights in the United States and abroad
- Assisted an international finance company in rebranding in the U.S. and abroad
- Assists consumer products company in clearing, registering, and enforcing trademark rights in the United States and aboard
- Assisted a tool manufacturer in securing ownership of URLs that were being used to mislead customers
- Assisted an entertainment and hospitality company in clearing, registering and enforcing trademark rights in the U.S.
- Assisted healthcare companies in clearing, registering and enforcing trademark rights in the U.S.
- Assisted multiple foreign manufacturers in clearing, registering and enforcing trademark rights in the U.S.
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, salutatorian
- Southern Illinois University - Carbondale, B.A., with highest honors
- Springfield College, A.A., with highest honors
- International Trademark Association, Government Officials Education & Training Committee; US/Canada Law & Practice Subcommittee, Co-Chair, 2014-2016; Bulletin Committee, 2008-2011; Bulletin Committee, 2021-2023
- Nashville Bar Association, Intellectual Property Association, Chairman
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association
- WTR 1000: The World's Leading Trademark Professionals, 2024
- Influencer in Retail Real Estate - Holland & Knight's Retail Development and Leasing Team, GlobeSt. Real Estate Forum, 2023
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Intellectual Property, 2018-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Franchise Law, 2013-2023; Trade Secrets Law, 2017-2024; Trademark Law, 2011-2024
- Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, Intellectual Property, 2020-2023; Franchise & Dealership, 2022, 2023; Business & Corporate, 2022, 2023