Abbey Garber is a tax attorney in Holland & Knight's Dallas office. Mr. Garber focuses his practice on tax litigation and providing advice in connection with applying tax laws to individuals, estates, corporations and partnerships.
Mr. Garber has experience in all aspects of IRS practice, including audit, appeals, collection and litigation. He works with a range of clients, including individuals, small businesses and multi-national corporations, to resolve their tax disputes.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Garber served for more than 30 years in the Office of Chief Counsel at the Internal Revenue Service, where he tried cases of all sizes in U.S. Tax Court, earning significant favorable opinions in fraud, tax shelter and many other cases. He also received a full Tax Court opinion in an attorneys' fees case and prosecuted criminal tax cases in U.S. District Court as a Special Assistant United States Attorney. In addition, Mr. Garber served as the Southwest Area Team Leader in Chief Counsel, charged with ensuring collaboration and cooperation across operating divisions in a nine-state area.
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D.
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Tax Court
- American College of Tax Counsel, Fellow, 2019-2022
- Dallas Bar Association, Tax Section, 2018-2022
- American Bar Association, Tax Section, Administrative Practice Committee, 2018-2022
- State Bar of Texas, Tax Section, Council Member, 2019-2022; CLE Co-Chair 2020-2022; IRS Representative, 2004-2018; Law School Outreach, 2008-2019
- State Bar of Texas Advanced Tax Law Course, Course Director, 2008; Planning Committee, 2007-2019; Tax Law 2020, Course Director; Tax Law 2021 Planning Committee
- Temple Shalom Brotherhood Softball Hall of Fame, Elected 2013, Chair 2021-2022
- Distinguished Service Award, State Bar of Texas, Tax Section, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Tax Law, 2020-2022
- The Legal 500 USA, Tax: U.S. Taxes: Contentious, 2019, 2021, 2022
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, Tax: Litigation, 2019
- National Outstanding Instructor Award, IRS Office of Chief Counsel, 2008
- Manager of the Year, IRS Office of Chief Counsel (Small Business/Self Employed), 2007
- Public Service Excellence Award, Dallas-Fort Worth Federal Executive Board, 2003