Norman M. Glasgow Jr. is an attorney in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., and Northern Virginia Land Use & Zoning Group. Mr. Glasgow represents real estate developers, public and private institutions in zoning, building code and historic preservation law matters before the Board of Zoning Adjustment, Zoning Commission, Historic Preservation Review Board, Commission of Fine Arts and Department of Buildings. He also represents clients in street and alley closings, and in that regard, has substantial contact with members of the Council of the District of Columbia and has appeared as a witness in many council hearings involving land use matters.
Mr. Glasgow has handled numerous cases before the Board of Zoning Adjustment and has handled and participated in many major Zoning Commission cases. Most of these cases have focused on major downtown District of Columbia mixed-use projects and zonings for properties in emerging opportunity areas such as the Downtown/East End, the waterfront, and North and South Capitol Street areas, among others. He worked extensively on the rewriting of the city's Street and Alley Closing and Acquisition Procedures Law.
Because of Mr. Glasgow's extensive experience with complex zoning and building code matters on an administrative level, he has succeeded in obtaining favorable construction-related rulings, resulting in significant savings of time and money for his clients.
In addition to his private practice, Mr. Glasgow is active in civic affairs, addressing the area's affordable housing crisis. In this regard, he works extensively with a number of nonprofit affordable housing providers and community development corporations. Mr. Glasgow worked in conjunction with the D.C. Bar Association to develop standardized zoning opinion letters, which are necessary in acquisition and construction financing of property.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
- Georgetown University, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- The Economic Club of Washington
- D.C. Chamber of Commerce, Legislative Affairs Committee
- Federal City Council
- District of Columbia Building Industry Association
- Lambda Alpha International Honorary Land Economics Society, Past President
- Greater Washington Board of Trade
- National Center for Children & Families, Board of Directors
- Washington Metropolitan Airports Authority, former Chairman of the Board of Directors
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, 2007-2022
- The Legal 500, 2007-2009, 2019, 2020; Land Use/Zoning, 2021-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Washington, D.C., Real Estate Law Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- Top Lawyers Hall of Fame, Washingtonian Magazine, 2022
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use, 2007-2023
- Top Lawyer, Washingtonian, Real Estate and Zoning/Land Use, 2009-2015; Real Estate, 2017-2020, 2022
- Top Washington Lawyer Finalist, Washington Business Journal, Zoning
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers magazine, 2007-2010, 2013-2020
- Corporate Counsel Edition, Super Lawyers magazine, May 2009