Land Use: Mid-Atlantic
- Holland & Knight’s Mid-Atlantic Land Use Team offers comprehensive services for landowners, developers and financial institutions in all facets of land use entitlements in the Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia regions. Our multidisciplinary approach draws upon the extensive experience of our firm's Environmental, Construction and Affordable Housing teams.
- The depth and range of our experience covers not just zoning and historic preservation, but also government policy, legislative affairs, tax incentives and abatements, and licensing and permitting.
- We provide counsel for a broad spectrum of property owners and tenants – developers of large- and small-scale office, retail and multifamily projects, businesses, retailers, institutions, foreign missions and international organizations, colleges and universities, private schools, hospitals, churches, non-profit and trade associations, and individual homeowners.
Understanding escalating government regulation in the areas of planning, zoning and land development throughout the Mid-Atlantic region is essential to achieving your land use objectives. The Mid-Atlantic Land Use Team at Holland & Knight is a wide-ranging practice dedicated to offering regional insight and targeted services for counsel you can trust.
Benefit From Regional Involvement and Focus
When you come to us for land use counsel, we draw upon the experience and skill of lawyers in our Washington, D.C., and Tysons Corner, Virginia, offices. Our commitment to your success is strengthened by our team’s collective experiences, including involvement in significant regional development projects, as well as participation in governmental policies and legislative actions that shape regional development. Strong relationships with elected officials and staffs in the various jurisdictions, and at the state and federal levels, further enable us to support your regional land use needs.
Handling the Full Range of Land Use Matters
Our land use attorneys work to assist you in land use matters involving local governments and regional and state agencies. Our comprehensive scope of services includes:
- development approvals, including subdivision, site plan, project plans, planned unit developments, and other such regulatory approvals
- administrative interpretation
- zoning law and rezoning
- historic preservation
- Smart Growth
- long-term planning for land use and transportation facilities
- due diligence for acquisition, financing, and disposition of property
- government affairs and legislative services
- special exceptions and variances
- building code and permit issues
- business development incentives, including tax credits, grants, and subsidies
- development agreements
- condemnations and real property valuation
- negotiation with community groups and government agencies
- preservation of development entitlements
- wireless telecommunications network build-out, including cell site zoning, leasing, title review, and risk analysis
Comprehensive Practice Ensures Industry Savvy
Our team’s experience representing a wide range of clients ensures we are well-equipped to represent your land use matters in the region. All sectors of the economy are encompassed by our land use law practice, including: office and employment centers, planned unit developments, mixed-use projects, retail developments, industrial uses, residential projects, institutions such as schools, hospitals, churches and associations, as well as communications service providers and infrastructure developers.
Industry Leadership Enhances Counsel
Landowners, developers and financial institutions alike tap on Holland & Knight’s Mid-Atlantic land use practice. Team members – including Washington, D.C., and northern Virginia real estate lawyers – serve as industry leaders through leadership positions and active involvement in significant area business organizations and political committees.