Alan Granwell is a tax attorney with more than 45 years of experience in the area of international taxation, resident in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C. office. In his long and wide-ranging career, Mr. Granwell has had the opportunity and privilege to work in the public and private sector.
Mr. Granwell's tax practice encompasses counseling both corporate and private clients. He represents multinational corporations on cross-border planning, transfer pricing, tax controversy and tax compliance. In his private client practice, Mr. Granwell advises high-net-worth individuals on cross-border income, estate and gift tax planning, controversy and compliance, to include foreign persons becoming U.S. persons, and U.S. persons moving offshore or expatriating. Mr. Granwell also has served as an expert witness in international tax controversy matters. With the recent enactment of U.S. tax reform legislation, Mr. Granwell has been active in counseling clients on the legislation's impact on existing international transactions and structures, new planning opportunities and pitfalls.
Over the past few years, Mr. Granwell also has advised financial institutions and their clients on international tax enforcement initiatives, with special emphasis on the U.S. Department of Justice Swiss Bank Program, the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and the Common Reporting Standard (CRS).
Mr. Granwell's administrative practice includes representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Department of the Treasury, including negotiating advance pricing agreements and conducting competent authority proceedings. He also assists clients in obtaining tax rulings and regulatory changes and advises clients on tax legislation matters.
In the early 1980s, Mr. Granwell was the International Tax Counsel and Director in the Office of International Tax Affairs at the U.S. Department of the Treasury. In that capacity, Mr. Granwell was the senior international tax adviser at the Treasury Department and was responsible for advising the Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy on legislation, regulations and administrative matters involving international taxation and directing the U.S. tax treaty program.
Mr. Granwell began his career working at Wall Street law firms. He then moved to Washington, D.C., to accept his government appointment to work for the Treasury Department. Thereafter, he returned to private practice in Washington, D.C. Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Granwell was a tax attorney for a boutique international tax law firm.
Mr. Granwell is a well-known, frequent commentator and lecturer on international tax matters. He has authored articles for publications both in the United States and abroad. Mr. Granwell has made presentations for the American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, the International Bar Association, the International Fiscal Association, the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and other organizations in numerous countries around the world. He has been active in participating in programs on the international provisions of the recent U.S. tax reform legislation sponsored by the American Bar Association, Section of Taxation; Tax Analysts and local sponsors, in England, Ireland, Italy and the Netherlands; the Irish Tax Institute; STEP; and others.
- New York University School of Law, LL.M.
- Boston University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- Middlebury College, A.B.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Mid-Atlantic Branch, Vice-Chair: Programs
- International Bar Association, Taxation Section (Taxes and Individual Tax and Private Client)
- International Fiscal Association
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Tax Section
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section, Nonresident Member
- International Tax and Finance Forum, A Private Tax Discussion Group (Washington, D.C.)
- Tax Review, A Private Tax Discussion Group (New York, N.Y.), Founding Member
- Washington International Tax Study Group (Washington, D.C.), A Private Tax Discussion Group
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Tax Law, 2006-2021
- Washington, D.C., Super Lawyers magazine, 2018