Marcy Hart is a real estate attorney in Holland & Knight's Philadelphia office who focuses on real estate, business and corporate law matters.
A seasoned transactional attorney with more than 35 years of experience in real estate and corporate finance, Ms. Hart uses her extensive in-house and law firm background to solve her clients' complex issues and challenges. She implements business and practical-minded strategies with respect to real estate acquisitions, dispositions, financing and capitalization.
Ms. Hart represents national and local developers and family offices, along with private equity and institutional investors and funds, in complex real estate transactions involving diverse capital sources, including tax credits, energy credits, preferred equity, mezzanine and private and public institutional debt. She advises her clients on the formation, structure, strategic alliance, capital raising, deployment and investment in and with joint ventures and portfolio companies, as well as subsequent exit strategies and related acquisition and sale transactions.
Ms. Hart has advised clients on more than $10 billion in debt financings and equity raises with a focus on project finance transactions for developers and investors, including tax equity investors, using historic, new market and renewable energy tax credits, and Opportunity Zone tax incentives relating to urban reuse multifamily apartments; suburban residential communities; industrial facilities; urban entertainment centers; educational facilities; retail malls; hospitals; mixed-use projects; and resorts and hotels.
Ms. Hart has also counseled institutional lenders, private equity funds, portfolio companies and investors in conjunction with real estate loan workouts, restructurings and reorganizations providing bankruptcy risk analysis and advice, particularly with respect to out-of-court restructurings during multiple down cycles in the capital markets.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Ms. Hart was a real estate attorney at a national law firm in its Philadelphia office.
- Represented one of the largest real estate equity funds in the U.S. in a variety of matters, including the acquisition of a major department store chain, a national parking operator and national self-storage facilities
- Represented an Opportunity Zone fund in the acquisition and development of several projects in the Northeast
- Represented a real estate private equity fund in the acquisition and development of hotel properties throughout the U.S., Mexico and Anguilla
- Served as national counsel for a leading private equity fund and handled real estate matters throughout the U.S., including one of the largest retail sale leaseback transactions in the past five years
- Represented a national developer along with city, state and federal agencies in the acquisition, development and tax credit financing of a regional intelligence center
- Represented a publicly traded real estate investment trust (REIT) in the acquisition, disposition, financing and refinancing of multiple regional shopping malls and power centers
- Represented a national solar developer in its portfolio financing of 15 energy projects throughout the U.S.
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, J.D.
- Wellesley College, B.A.
- Building Industry Association of Philadelphia, Board of Directors
- Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia, Board of Directors
- Philadelphia Bar Foundation, Board of Trustees
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Network
- Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp. (PIDC) Advisory Board
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Philadelphia
- Lutheran Settlement House, Board of Directors, 2014-2018
- Pennsylvania State Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- The Legal Intelligencer, Trailblazers, 2019
- The Philadelphia Inquirer, Influencers of Law, 2019
- Philadelphia Business Journal, Top 25 Women to Watch in Real Estate, Construction and Development, 2016
- SJ Magazine, Top Attorney: Construction, 2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated