Jeffrey S. Korenblatt
Jeffrey S. Korenblatt is a tax attorney in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C., office. Mr. Korenblatt has a broad-based tax practice focused on domestic and international business transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions (M&A), restructurings and dispositions. Mr. Korenblatt also leads Holland & Knight's Tax Insurance Policy Team.
Mr. Korenblatt advises on the efficient implementation of both taxable and tax-free reorganizations, combinations and spinoffs. He has years of experience in structuring joint ventures and providing guidance regarding corporate and partnership formations, acquisitions, restructurings and divestitures. Mr. Korenblatt frequently advises on the formation and operation of private investment vehicles, including private equity and hedge funds, and on the tax considerations important to their investors, general partners and advisers. He also has years of experience in helping clients navigate the special tax and transfer pricing considerations of multijurisdictional business ventures, combinations, expansions and divestitures.
Mr. Korenblatt leads the firm's efforts to advise insurance companies and underwriters in evaluating and placing insurance policies. Drawing upon and leveraging off Holland & Knight's deep bench of tax knowledge and experience – including its market-leading renewable energy tax credit practice – Mr. Korenblatt has assisted insurance companies in underwriting risks relating to qualification for various renewables tax credits, credit transfers under new Section 6418 of the Internal Revenue Code, availability of net operating losses, entity classification issues in the context of M&A transactions, planning involving employee benefits plans, state tax matters, U.S. effectively connected income exposures and debt versus equity risk, and many other issues arising in today's actively growing tax insurance market. Mr. Korenblatt also works with clients to help them evaluate whether to obtain insurance on various tax risks.
Mr. Korenblatt delivers tax solutions to clients in multiple industries, including but not limited to manufacturers, retailers, franchisors, entertainment-industry clients, web-based providers of goods and services, token issuers and taxpayers in the energy and life sciences industries.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Korenblatt has served as an adjunct professor in the LL.M. degree program at the Georgetown University Law Center and as a visiting lecturer at the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation (IBFD) in Amsterdam. He also is a frequent speaker and lecturer at conferences and to organizations, including the Examining Corporate Tax Strategies for Multinational Corporations Conference, Alliance for Tax, Legal, and Accounting Seminars (ATLAS), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and Tax Executives Institute (TEI). He has participated as a material contributor to multiple American Bar Association (ABA) regulatory comment projects, contributes scholarship to various national publications and is frequently quoted in the national tax media.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Korenblatt was an attorney for a large international law firm in its Washington, D.C., office.
- Assisted diverse clients with tax-efficient purchases and sales of the equity and/or assets of domestic or international businesses
- Advised multiple clients on the use of specialized capital markets structures, such as the use of "Up-C" and special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs)
- Designed and implemented pre- and post-acquisition/disposition business integration and rationalization strategies
- Represented U.S. and foreign clients in multiple aspects of the token and cryptocurrency economy
- Advised on the tax-efficient creation, financing, acquisition, ownership, exploitation and disposition of film, music and derivative rights throughout the United States and worldwide
- Structured varied business franchising arrangements in more than 35 jurisdictions worldwide for U.S. and foreign taxpayers
- Advised foreign persons on establishing or acquiring U.S. business operations
- Advised domestic and foreign investors in U.S. and foreign real estate and energy properties, including through structures compliant with Islamic banking and finance requirements
- Provided complex tax advice on offerings of debt, equity and other financial instruments, as well as with respect to lending transactions and recapitalizations
- Provided cutting-edge and proactive transfer pricing advice, particularly for intellectual property (IP), financing transactions, procurement and distribution of goods, and the performance of services
- Developed and optimized cross-border procurement, supply chain and distribution structures
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Georgetown University, B.S.F.S., cum laude
- District of Columbia
- Federal Bar Association, International Tax Program, Tax Law Conferences, Co-Chair, 2014-2021
- American Bar Association, Committee of Foreign Activities of U.S. Taxpayers (FAUST)
- The Legal 500 USA, Tax, 2019-2021