John C. Nix
John Nix is an intellectual property (IP) and litigation attorney in Holland & Knight's Nashville office. Mr. Nix regularly advises clients on a wide range of IP matters, including brand protection, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, unfair competition, licensing and data privacy.
Mr. Nix has extensive experience in assisting clients with trademark clearance, prosecution and enforcement in the United States and abroad, which includes assisting clients with the maintenance and management of global IP portfolios. Mr. Nix also regularly represents clients in both inter partes and ex parte proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Mr. Nix's practice involves representing clients in a variety of federal and state trademark, copyright, trade dress and trade secret disputes, as well as handling Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP) arbitrations before the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the National Arbitration Forum.
During law school, Mr. Nix was a dedicated member of the moot court program, competing in four major competitions during his tenure, and he continues his dedication to the program by serving as an alumni coach and judge.
- Belmont University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Tennessee State University, B.S., summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- All State Courts in Tennessee
- Nashville Bar Association, 2021-Present
- Tennessee Bar Association, 2021-Present
- American Bar Association, 2021-Present
- International Trademark Association, 2022-Present
- Belmont Law Review, Executive Notes Editor, 2019-2021
- National Finalist, American Bar Association (ABA) National Appellate Advocacy Competition (NAAC), 2021
- Regional Champion, ABA NAAC, 2021
- Top Five National Appellate Advocate Award, ABA NAAC, 2021
- Top Five National Appellate Brief Award, ABA NAAC, 2021
- Top Appellate Brief Award, Emory University Civil Rights and Liberties Moot Court Competition, 2020
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Civil Procedure, Belmont College of Law, 2019
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Legal Research, Belmont College of Law, 2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Legal Writing, Belmont College of Law, 2018