Adam J. Paterno is a New York construction law attorney who frequently represents owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, construction managers and design professionals in contract drafting and negotiations. In particular, Mr. Paterno has significant experience representing large academic, medical and commercial institutions on a wide array of public and private projects. He has spoken on various topics in construction law and given continuing education seminars to architects and engineers.
Mr. Paterno routinely drafts architecture and engineering, construction management, system commissioning, equipment purchase, license and access agreements and contracts addressing the general operation and functioning of major facilities. Recently, he assisted a large New York-based medical center in the drafting and negotiation of a wide range of critical agreements that were needed in the wake of a $1 billion loss the institution suffered after Superstorm Sandy. Currently, he is actively involved in drafting and negotiating agreements required for the redevelopment of Penn Station in New York City, analyzing potential errors and omissions claims in connection with the East Side Access project at Grand Central Terminal and assisting a major medical facility in its ongoing redevelopment and expansion efforts throughout the New York metropolitan area.
Prior to and during law school, Mr. Paterno worked in radio, television and publishing, holding positions at several major media corporations. During such time, he had the opportunity to work with many notable individuals, including White House Deputy Chief of Staff Michael Deaver, White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer, U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison and University of Chicago Economist Steven D. Levitt.
While in law school, Mr. Paterno interned for the Hon. Julianne S. Eisman of the Nassau County Family Court and in the legal division of Bloomberg L.P. Mr. Paterno was a member of the Hofstra Moot Court Association, a finalist in the Nassau Academy of Law Moot Court Competition, awarded Best Direct Examination in the 2006 American Trial Lawyers Association Intra-School Trial Competition and achieved the highest grade in his Litigation and Drafting Skills course.
Mr. Paterno completed the National Institute for Trial Advocacy Trial Skills program and served as an evaluator for the American Bar Association's Student Trial Advocacy program at Fordham Law School. He is authorized by the New York State Court System to serve as a volunteer mediator, and maintains New York State property and casualty insurance and real estate broker licenses. Mr. Paterno recently served as co-chair of Holland & Knight's first small and emerging business networking event for its New York office and currently chairs the Summer Associate program for the New York office.
- Obtained the reversal of a $10 million judgment and the dismissal of a contractor's complaint against a construction company on the ground that the contractor's delay claims were barred by the contract's no-damages-for-delay clause
- Represented a remediation contractor in connection with brownfield site redevelopment in Yonkers, N.Y., and successfully obtained dismissal of nine out of 10 causes of action alleged against the contractor
- Represented a Manhattan co-op in connection with a license pursuant to N.Y. RPAPL §881 to enter adjoining property in order to undertake a multimillion-dollar capital project; served as lead counsel over the course of a two-day evidentiary hearing and obtained a successful outcome
- Obtained the successful dismissal of 11 causes of action against a general contractor in connection with the development of a Manhattan condominium
- Drafted and negotiated construction, construction management, commissioning, architecture/engineering, access and maintenance/service contracts in connection with a New York-based medical center's campus transformation and expansion projects, including construction of an energy building and facilities throughout New York and Florida
- Provided counsel to a major not-for-profit corporation in drafting and editing its standard form of contract for use on the construction of various healthcare facilities throughout New York City
- Drafted and negotiated critical engineering, architecture, construction management and consulting agreements on behalf of a religious institution for construction of a Santiago Calatrava-designed church next to the World Trade Center site
- Represented a Manhattan-based museum in connection with the drafting and negotiation of a construction management agreement for construction of a new wing
- Drafted and negotiated construction management, construction and owner-architect agreements on behalf of a Manhattan-based private school in connection with the school's renovation and expansion project
- Represented a Native American tribe in connection with architecture and construction management agreements needed for a casino and resort in Carter Lake, Iowa
- Assisted in the resettlement of an endangered Iraqi family to the United States because of their U.S. affiliation during the 2003 Iraq War
- Represented a national civil rights organization in connection with polling site compliance with the federal Voting Rights Act
- Provided counsel to an unaccompanied immigrant child facing deportation from the United States as part of the Kids in Need of Defense program
- Represented a nonprofit community center in lease negotiations
- University of Michigan, B.A., Political Science and Communications, high honors
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- All State Courts in New York
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
- New York Building Congress, Healthcare and Higher Education Committees
- New York City Bar Association
- Phi Alpha Delta
- University of Michigan Alumni Association
- Law360 Rising Stars, Construction, 2021
- The Legal 500 USA, Construction, Next Generation Partner, 2020, 2021
- Most Trusted in Construction Transactions, Corporate America Legal Elite, 2015
- The Hofstra Law Conscience, Associate Editor
- American Trial Lawyers Association Intra-School Trial Competition, Best Direct Examination, 2006
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- Nassau Academy of Law Moot Court Competition, Finalist, 2007
- Hofstra Moot Court Association
- Rising Star, New York Super Lawyers magazine, 2014-2021