Tara A. Scanlon
Tara A. Scanlon is an attorney in the Washington, D.C., office of Holland & Knight, where she is practice group leader of the real estate transactional attorneys in Washington, D.C., Northern Virginia and Philadelphia.
Ms. Scanlon concentrates her practice on commercial real estate transactions, which include development matters, sales and acquisitions, and joint venture agreements, as well as retail and office leasing. She has extensive experience in retail real estate transactions representing both institutional and entrepreneurial owners of regional malls, shopping centers and high-end street retail projects.
In addition, Ms. Scanlon's experience includes commercial finance involving construction and permanent real estate loans and mezzanine financing, as well as representing both developers and equity investors in connection with preferred and standard equity investments in real estate projects and ground leases with private owners and governmental authorities as part of large mixed-use development projects.
Ms. Scanlon's recent representative transactions include:
- multiple mixed-use development projects in Washington, D.C., and its environs, including purchase and sale agreements, due diligence, structure and drafting of reciprocal easement agreements, joint venture agreements and mezzanine and construction financing, as well as retail and office lease-up; the development projects include CityMarket at O, The Edison, The Ledger, CityRidge, The Altaire, The Residences at 8th and O, Morse, and 300 M
- a joint venture agreement for the purchase of a 50-percent interest in a mixed-use project, including more than 450 apartment units and 225 for-sale units, which took place immediately prior to the commencement of construction
- the representation of the purchaser and developer of the 111,500-square-foot office lease in the former Fannie Mae headquarters building, named one of 2020's best deals of the year in Washington, D.C.
- the representation of an equity investor in connection with joint venture agreements to make preferred and standard equity investments in hotels, office and retail projects throughout the East Coast
- the representation of the landlord in connection with the lease-up and continued leasing at an upscale retail project in Washington, D.C., including leases to many luxury brands and high-end restaurants
- leasing and legal support for client's asset management services regarding a high-end streetscape portfolio in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., for more than 23 years
- the representation of the Sursum Corda Housing Co-operative in connection with the positioning and sale of the co-op's land to a developer and the negotiation of the co-op owners' right to return as tenants of the new project
- the mezzanine financing as part of the capital stack for a development and construction project that included coordination with the District of Columbia's land disposition requirements and the senior mortgage financing
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
- Hamilton College, B.A., Philosophy, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- Women in Retail Real Estate (WIRRE), former President of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter
- Women in Retail Real Estate (WIRRE), Board Member
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Washington, D.C., Economic Partnership, Board Member
- Jeffrey J. Dye Leadership Foundation, Board of Directors
- Georgetown University Law School Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute, Advisory Board for Spring 2003, 2004 and 2005 sessions
- Influencer in Retail Real Estate - Holland & Knight's Retail Development and Leasing Team, GlobeSt. Real Estate Forum, 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, 2010-2023
- The Legal 500 USA, Real Estate & Construction: Real Estate, 2011, 2012, 2020, 2023
- Women of Influence – CRE Legal Counsel, GlobeSt. Real Estate Forum, 2022
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Real Estate, 2013-2023
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers magazine, 2009-2020
- Best Lawyer, Washingtonian Magazine, Real Estate, 2017-2020
- Corporate Counsel Edition, Super Lawyers magazine, May 2009