Tara A. Scanlon is a partner in the Washington, D.C., office of Holland & Knight where she is practice group leader of the Washington, D.C., and Northern Virginia Real Estate Group. Ms. Scanlon concentrates her practice on commercial real estate transactions which include development matters, sales and acquisitions, as well as retail and office leasing. She has extensive experience in retail real estate transactions representing both institutional and entrepreneurial owners of regional malls, shopping centers and high-end street retail projects in connection with various leasing, finance, operational and transactional matters. Other areas of experience include commercial finance involving construction and permanent real estate loans, asset-based lending and equity investments, as well as the restructure of debt and security instruments.
Representative transactions she has handled include:
- transactional and leasing counsel for the redevelopment of an urban mall into a 600,000 square foot power center
- transactional counsel for disposition of portfolio of 14 regional malls over a three-year period
- leasing counsel for high-end redevelopment of urban streetscape properties in Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
- counsel for Fortune 500 Company in connection with major build to suit lease
- transactional counsel for Fortune 500 Company in connection with sale of 500,000 square foot office campus
- transactional counsel for sale of portfolio of shopping centers
- leasing counsel for high-end mixed-use development with over 600,000-square-feet of retail space
Ms. Scanlon has been an adjunct professor of Commercial Real Estate Law in the Allan L. Berman Real Estate Institute at Johns Hopkins University since 2001.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
- Hamilton College, B.A., Philosophy, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- Women in Retail Real Estate (WIRRE), former President of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter
- Women in Retail Real Estate (WIRRE), Board Member
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Washington, D.C., Economic Partnership, Board Member
- Jeffrey J. Dye Leadership Foundation, Board of Directors
- Georgetown University Law School Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute, Advisory Board for Spring 2003, 2004 and 2005 sessions
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, 2010-2021
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Real Estate, 2013-2020
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers magazine, 2009-2020
- Best Lawyer, Washingtonian Magazine, Real Estate, 2017-2020
- The Legal 500 USA, Real Estate & Construction: Real Estate, 2011, 2012, 2020
- Corporate Counsel Edition, Super Lawyers magazine, May 2009