Tonya Scharf is a real estate attorney in Holland & Knight's Nashville office. She advises hospital systems, healthcare companies, healthcare REITs, developers or operators looking to acquire, dispose of, monetize, develop or lease real estate. Leading clients through the transaction process and helping them avoid regulatory pitfalls, Ms. Scharf is considered a valuable asset to her clients and colleagues. She has a strong personal commitment to the clients with whom she works. She listens to their concerns, understands their business and strives to overcome obstacles and close deals.
Known for getting the job done and being professional, thorough, and efficient, Ms. Scharf turns her passion for the deal-making process into a valuable service for the client. Ms. Scharf thoughtfully approaches matters and embraces complicated transactions with challenging time constraints. Clients find that her strong analytical skills further strengthen her role as an effective negotiator.
Ms. Scharf client-first approach is evident in every aspect of her day-to-day responsibilities which include the purchase, sale, leaseback, development, management, leasing and financing of commercial real estate assets such as:
- skilled nursing and memory care facilities
- hospitals, outpatient clinics and surgery centers
- medical office buildings and condominiums
- assisted living and independent living facilities
- office space and retail
Ms. Scharf handles everything from large scale, multi-state portfolio transactions to single-asset deals. She drafts and negotiates purchase and sale agreements, development agreements, condominium declarations, ground leases, master leases and space leases, as well as oversees the various aspects of due diligence.
As an added benefit to her clients, Ms. Scharf has great depth of experience in negotiating financing arrangements, including asset-based lending, construction loans, credit facilities, loan modifications, assumptions and assignments, forbearance agreements, restructurings and workouts.
- Served as lead counsel to Montclair Radiology, a leading provider of diagnostic imaging in northern New Jersey, in its acquisition by New Jersey Imaging Network (NJIN)
- Represented Newport Healthcare, the national leader in treating higher-acuity mood and co-occurring disorders in teens and young adults, in its acquisition of Minnesota-based PrairieCare, a premier provider of mental health services in the Midwest with one of the nation's largest pediatric psychiatric practices. The firm continues to assist the client with general counsel by providing attention to regulatory and diligence matters, reviewing and preparing purchase agreements, and more
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Berea College, B.A., with honors
- Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals, Judicial Clerk, 1998-1999
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association American Bar Associations
- Women in Commercial Real Estate Nashville
- Women Business Leaders
- American Cancer Society, Volunteer
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training, Volunteer
- Young Leaders Council, Alumna
- Brown Dog Foundation, Board of Directors, Alumnae
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, 2020-2024; Health Care Law, 2023-2024
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Lawyer of the Year, Real Estate Law (Nashville), 2023