Chad Tiedemann is a real estate attorney in Holland & Knight's Washington, D.C. office. Mr. Tiedemann represents a number of the leading real estate development firms in Washington, D.C. He has extensive experience representing real estate investors, including opportunity funds, investment banking firms, insurance companies, investment advisers, pension funds, foreign investors, syndicators and high-net-worth individuals in connection with their real estate investments throughout the United States. He also represents foreign and domestic banks and other lenders in connection with their commercial real estate finance transactions. Engagements include every property type and size, from a national portfolio of 14 regional shopping malls and programmatic investment relationships for office portfolios to "one-off" hotel and multi-family transactions.
Mr. Tiedemann has more than 30 years of commercial real estate venture formation structuring, finance and development experience. The complex transactions that Mr. Tiedemann handles include acquisitions, sales, limited liability company and partnership formations, construction, permanent and mezzanine loans, ground leases, recapitalizations and sale-leasebacks. He also has extensive experience with condominium regimes, as well as workouts and foreclosures through multiple economic cycles.
Interviews with Mr. Tiedemann have been featured in The Washington Post and in Real Estate Weekly's "Exclusive Interviews with the Leaders on the Real Estate Scene" from Bisnow on Business. Mr. Tiedemann is a frequent speaker and lecturer on real estate industry issues, including current trends in the capital markets, as well as the challenges and opportunities facing the industry.
Mr. Tiedemann is the firm's past National Real Estate Section Leader. He was previously a member of the firm's Practice Management Committee and Directors Committee. Mr. Tiedemann is actively involved in and underwrites a college scholarship annually, as a part of the Holland & Knight Foundation's Holocaust Remembrance Project, a national high school contest that attracts more than 5,000 essays each year. Mr. Tiedemann performs pro bono legal work for the homeless through the Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless (WLCH), and has done so for more than 10 years.
- Represented the buyer in all aspects of acquisition and financing for a complicated three-office building project in Alexandria, Virginia; environmental matters made this a particularly complex transaction
- Represented the existing owner in connection with the formation of a new joint venture that included $10 million of new equity, and then represented the new joint venture as the borrower in a $30 million lease-up loan
- Represented the seller in sale of a 355-room hotel in Washington, D.C.
- Represented a client in the purchase, ground lease, construction financing and office lease for a to-be-built expansion of its headquarters; Phase I was a purchase of land requiring a ground lease back and 40-year office lease with a 10-year extension option and two purchase options, and Phase II involved a construction loan to finance the construction of a new 150,000-square-foot office building to be physically tied into the existing client headquarters
- The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Building Industry Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- The Washington Real Estate Group, Past Board Member
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Rebuilding Together with Christmas in April, House Captain
- United Way, Past Campaign Chair
- Notre Dame Club of Washington, D.C.
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Real Estate Law, 2007-2021
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star Award, 2017
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Real Estate, 2006-2018
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers magazine, 2008-2015
- Best Lawyer, Washingtonian Magazine, Real Estate and Zoning/Land Use, 2009-2015; Real Estate, 2017-2020
- Business Edition, Super Lawyers magazine, 2011, 2012
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Top Washington Lawyer for Real Estate Transactions, The Washington Business Journal, 2007