David Wirt is an attorney who serves as co-chair of Holland & Knight's national Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors' Rights Practice Group and executive partner of the Chicago office. Mr. Wirt's practice specifically focuses on insolvency, bankruptcy and business organization matters.
For more than 25 years, Mr. Wirt has represented numerous corporate debtors and official creditor committees, institutional lenders, trade creditors and governmental agencies throughout the United States in all aspects of insolvency workouts and litigation.
Mr. Wirt has handled many prominent bankruptcies in Chicago and nationally as lead Chapter 11 counsel. He is a highly regarded insolvency workout attorney in Chicago, with a national reputation.
Mr. Wirt's representative engagements include:
- representing Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. in connection with transactions intended to strengthen the pension plans of Sears, Roebuck and Co.
- representing California Proton Treatment Center Inc. in the first Chapter 11 of an operating proton treatment clinic in the United States
- representing Hai Jiang 1401 Pte. Ltd. in connection with bareboat charters in the Ezra Holdings and affiliated bankruptcies in New York and Texas
- representing a special committee of the board of directors of KiOR Inc., in connection with its Chapter 11 bankruptcy and litigation resolution
- representing BroadRiver Asset Management in connection with a highly contested acquisition out of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Life Partners Inc.
- representing the Sabes Family Foundation in connection with litigation arising out of Petters Group Chapter 11 bankruptcies
- representing Palm Harbor Homes Inc. and its affiliates as lead Chapter 11 counsel
- representing New Vision Television Inc. and its affiliates as lead Chapter 11 counsel
- representing American of Martinsville Inc. and BarcaLounger Inc. as lead Chapter 11 counsel
- representing Empire Carpets LLC in complex debt restructuring
- representing Superior Aviation Inc. in the potential acquisition of Hawker Beechcraft Inc. and affiliated debtors
- representing senior lenders in proposing and prosecuting contested creditor plan in the Whitton Corp. bankruptcies
- representing Varsari Inc. as acquirer of one of the largest number of Dairy Queen franchises in the United States
- representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Global Capacity Holdings Chapter 11 cases
- representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in Meridian Automotive Systems-Composite Operations Inc., et al.
- representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in Arlington Hospitality Inc.
- representing Gazprom Neft in the multibillion-dollar bankruptcy of the Yukos Oil Co. and certain affiliates
- representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Kmart Corp. in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Universal Access Inc. and its domestic affiliate
- representing a member of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Spiegel Inc., Eddie Bauer Inc. and Newport News Inc., Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- representing the California State Senate Utility Committee in the California electricity crisis
- representing numerous power producers and swap contract counter-parties in connection with the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Enron Corp. and its affiliates
- representing one of the largest trade creditors and member of the Official Committee of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Archibald Candy Corp.
- representing the senior lending group in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of BMC Industries Inc. and its domestic affiliates
- representing one of the largest contractors and project developers in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of J.A. Jones Inc. and its affiliates
- serving as special counsel to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) in connection with the restructuring of obligations and bankruptcies arising from the multibillion-dollar "C-Block" and "F-Block" mobile telephone licensing auctions
- representing the El Paso Electric Co. in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- representing acquiror of substantial portion of the assets of MyCFO
- representing a generator and major nuclear power plant participant in the Cajun Electric bankruptcy
- representing CITGO Petroleum Corp., the chairman of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the CIC Industries bankruptcy
- representing R.R. Donnelley & Sons Co., the chairman of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Bedford Fair bankruptcy
- representing the chairman of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Bedford Fair bankruptcy
- representing Williams Communications Inc. in the GST Inc. bankruptcy
- representing Alcatel Networks Inc. in the TeleHub Communications Inc. bankruptcy
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Wirt was chair of the bankruptcy practice for a global law firm in its Chicago office.