Colin H. Luke
Colin Luke is a healthcare attorney and the executive partner of Holland & Knight's Birmingham office. Mr. Luke has extensive experience in healthcare transactions and regulatory issues involving a wide range of providers in the academic, governmental, nonprofit and for-profit sectors. He is routinely involved in Certificate of Need matters, joint ventures between physician and other types of providers, and sales or mergers of healthcare providers.
Hospitals, health systems, physicians and outpatient services providers depend on Mr. Luke for assistance with regulatory compliance matters involving the federal Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark law, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and patient privacy, state healthcare regulations and the development of effective corporate compliance programs.
Healthcare clients also rely on Mr. Luke for assistance with operations issues such as provider and payer certifications, facility licensure and Certificates of Need. Additionally, he is highly sought-after for his experience with a wide range of transactional matters. including the acquisition and divestiture of healthcare facilities and the formation of healthcare joint ventures.
Previously, Mr. Luke led Waller Lansden Dortch & Davis' Healthcare Compliance and Operations practice. He also represented healthcare providers in the Southeast as a partner with two Birmingham, Alabama, law firms. Early in his career, he served as vice president and corporate counsel for Active Services Corporation, one of the nation's largest providers of adult day healthcare services. In this role, he managed the acquisition and development of healthcare facilities and oversaw the company's regulatory compliance program.
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., Political Science, summa cum laude
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Health Reform Task Force, Vice President; Business Law Section
- American Health Law Association
- Cumberland School of Law, Annual Health Law Update, Planning Committee
- Alabama State Bar, Health Law Section, Former Chair; Business Law Section
- Birmingham Zoo, Founding Board Member and Past President
- The Altamont School, Board of Trustees, Former Member
- Oasis Women's Counseling Center, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Alabama Kidney Foundation, Former Board Member
- Center Management, Inc., Board of Directors, Current Member and Former Chairman
- Alabama Republican Party Executive Committee, Member, Past General Counsel
- Alabama Symphony Orchestra, Board Member
- Eagle Forum of Alabama
- City Club, Board of Governors
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Healthcare, 2016-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Health Care Law, 2009-2024; Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2008-2024
- Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, Healthcare, 2009-2019
- Business Alabama, Top Attorneys in Alabama
- Birmingham Business Journal, Best of the Bar
- Who's Who in Health Care, Birmingham Business Journal
- Harry S. Truman Scholar