Patent Protection and Prosecution
- Holland & Knight's Patent Protection and Prosecution Team understands that your patent portfolio is a critical asset. That is why we take the time to learn both your technology and your business. We assist clients in developing forward-thinking patent strategies through product development, patent procurement, due diligence and market analysis.
- Our attorneys are experienced in key technical disciplines, with many holding degrees in computer and software engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering.
Holland & Knight's Intellectual Property (IP) Practice features a Patent Protection and Prosecution Team with both the experience and technological knowledge necessary to advise and protect you in the increasingly complex area of patent prosecution.
Representing a Broad Range of Clients
Our team represents foreign and domestic clients of all sizes in a wide range of technologies, including:
- computer and software
- medical devices
- electronics and electrical devices
- mechanical devices
- food and flavors
- dietary supplements
- electromechanical devices
- diagnostics and assays
Recognizing the increasing importance of software and the unprecedented speed of new technological development, Holland & Knight's patent attorneys quickly work to secure our clients' interests on a broad basis, creating strong patent portfolios to leverage in the marketplace. We obtain comprehensive patents and patent families, securing both design as well as utility patents when appropriate.
Experience and Technological Know-How Working to Protect Your Interests
Our intellectual property attorneys are experienced in key technical disciplines, with many holding degrees in computer and software engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering.
Working from a broad base of experience, our patent attorneys counsel clients in a range of industries. From long-standing products and technologies to the latest business-critical products or processes, prosecuting, maintaining, asserting and defending patents impacts virtually every aspect of your business. Developing a forward-thinking patent strategy through product development, patent procurement, due diligence and market analysis is essential to long-term business success.
To achieve your goals, you need an integrated law firm with the ability to understand and guide you through your business and technology strategies, and the capacity to enforce those rights in court. Holland & Knight has both the experience and perspective necessary to understand and support your business goals and strategies.
Our team understands that your patent portfolio is a critical asset. That is why we take the time to learn both your technology and your business. This knowledge enables us to work efficiently and effectively to prosecute and maintain your portfolio.
In addition to prosecution work, our patent attorneys have extensive experience in the following areas:
- handling reexaminations, appeals, interferences and opposition proceedings before the USPTO and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- rendering freedom to operate and opinion of counsel letters, including patentability, infringement and enforceability opinions
- inter partes review
- counseling on design-arounds and alternative strategies to either avoid infringement or protect intellectual property
- advising on patent portfolio management and optimization
- offering opinions and advice on all forms of patent protection
- establishing strategic patenting programs
- due diligence
Our team members have experience representing clients before the USPTO regarding all aspects of obtaining, prosecuting and maintaining patents. We frequently prosecute patent applications under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) and, working with foreign affiliates, before various regional and national patent offices, including the European Patent Office (EPO), Japan, Canada, South America, Australia and Scandinavia.