Florida Keys 2008 Hurricane Preparedness Business Conference
Join The Lodging Association of the Florida Keys and Key West, The Monroe County Tourist Development Council, Monroe County Emergency Management, Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association, Holland & Knight, HBA Insurance Group, Inc., and expert panelists for an interactive meeting offering your business or organization the vital tools essential to be prepared for a hurricane, emergency or disaster.
Keynote Speaker ~ Hurricanes & Weather
Bill Read, Director of the National Hurricane Center
Risk Management & Structural Checkpoints
Carmelita Concepcion, HBA Insurance Group
- Key and essential elements required within any hurricane insurance plan
- Planning, logistical, and human resources measures surrounding any good hurricane/disaster recovery plan
- Instructional hurricane preparedness handout
Employment Issues Related to Hurricanes
Edward Diaz, Holland & Knight
- What should be included in your HR hurricane preparedness plan?
- Are employees who are not working due to storm closures entitled to wages & benefits?
- May employees be discharged for refusing to report to work during or after a hurricane?
- What precautions are necessary in using volunteers in hurricane recovery?
New Internet-Based Weather Tools Available to the Public
Matt Strahan, Meteorologist in Charge of the Key West Weather Service Office
Hurricane Preparedness for the Tourism Industry
Andy Newman, Media Relations Director for the Monroe County Tourist Development Council
Panelists will also Include
Peter Horton, Director of Monroe County Airports,
JB Hunt, American Red Cross,
Jerry O'Cathey, Monroe County Emergency Management